Chapter 3

Mother really outdid herself on the morning of my evangelism outreach. Being a stay at home mother, I doubt if she ever felt tired after waking up early in the morning to prepare the perfect breakfast to keep me "energised and focused" As I went to preaching and winning the sinners to the faith.

    She even went as far as preparing lunch and packing it in a flask so I don't get hungry and fall into the temptation of eating unholy food from sinners. Heaven knows I wouldn't be able to take a bite from the lunch after have the heavy breakfast of fried plantain, scrambled eggs, and toasts all washed down with a tall glass of milk fresh from the farm. Even after all these she came with a plate of pancakes.

    "Are you sure you are satisfied? The plantain you took was quite small. Have these pancakes" She insisted.

    "Mother we asked for those pancakes not Sarah" Andrew whined.

    "It's all because she is going to evan..evan.."

    "Evangelise" I helped Anne complete the word she had a hard time pronouncing.

    "Let her have these first, I'll make yours quickly" Mother dropped the tower of pancakes in front of me and hurried back to the kitchen. I passed the plate to the twins who brightened up on the seeing their beloved pancakes. Like squirrels they scurried off with the plate.

    I, on the other hand took my purse  "I'm leaving now" I announced loudly and left before could reply.

    "Are you ready to go?" Just asked. He had been waiting for me outside so he could escort me to school where I would enter the bus to the world. I had expected Father to escort me instead, he had escorted Justus on his first day but now he was too busy with Elder duties.

    "Yes I'm ready" We started walking.

     "As your elder brother let me give you some advice"

    "Someone passing would think you are older than me with five years."

    "Looks at you. Do you think two years is two days. There is a big difference if you don't know" He was smiling. Clearly enjoying the banter but his eyes had dark circles that testified of lack of sleep.

    "What advice do you want to give me?" The two years difference between us gave Justus the upper hand when it came to experience. So I dare not joke or take his advice for granted.

    "Listen you will meet lots of mad people out there and you need to learn how to talk to them in a manner they don't feel offended. Don't go around calling them sinners up front, as I said some of them are mad and they might hurt you if you do so. So the moment you sense disagreement I beg you, leave them immediately." I listened attentively as I registered his words to heart.

    "Leave when you sense disagreement" I repeated.

    The school compound was abuzz with enthusiastic chatter and laughter. The sun was shining brightly, adding to the sense of anticipation in the air. The buses lined up near the main entrance, students located their groups while the teachers and supervisors on duty tried to maintain order. The excitement was palpable and the students could hardly contain themselves.

    "Do the work of God and his sons. Good luck" Justus said with a warm smile as he patted my head.

    "I will"

    I mixed myself In the crowd in the aim of locating my group. A few distance to my right I saw Steven's towering head.

    "Has Tina come yet?" I asked Rebecca and short quiet girl who wanted to be anywhere but there. She shook her head negative. I wasn't disappointed. It wouldn't be Tina if she was thirty minutes late.

    Steven started the head count. After counting two e I could sense his confusion as he recounted again and stared at the possible figures in his paper.

    "Listen up" He shouted, silencing us with his his deep baritone. "When I call your name answer present." He started to call.

    "David Daniel, Tammy Christopher—"

       "Don't bother calling the names. It's Tina who isn't here" I told him, my voice sounding too timid and weak. He looked at me for a few seconds before turning away to the girl beside him. My throat went dry. I swallowed saliva and when that wasn't helping, I searched my bag for water and drank hungrily.

    "Enter your busses. It's time to go" Miss Tega announced. For the love of heaven, where is this girl? Our supervisor, Mrs Adams. A short and sour elderly lady with specks of grey hair entered the bus.

    As others went inside the bus, I waited outside, purposely stalling to give Tina (wherever she was) More time.

    "Steven said you should enter the bus" Grace informed me. Would he die if he told me himself.

    "Young lady what is the matter? Get inside the bus now" Mrs Adams said, impatiently.

    "Ma'am my friend isn't here yet" I said. Mrs Adams gave me a dirty look with her wrinkled lips pressed into a straight thin line.

    "Does you friend not know that we have to evangelise today eh. What is your name?" Mrs Adams began searching her bag for what I hoped was not her record sheet.

    "Girl enter the bus. We do not have all day" The driver said angrily. Then he horned aggressively to add more effect to the message.

    One by one the other busses left the premises. The driver horned again. Others in the bus began groaning and complaining. Once or twice, I heard colourful words thrown at me. I stood indifferent. We were not leaving without Tina.

    Mrs Adams gave a little cry of victory as she brought her sheet out of her bag. Sons of God.

    "Now tell me. What is your name" Mrs Adams asked wickedly. Her pen twisting in excitement and anticipation as it waited to write a big fat zero on my record. By this point I was considering jumping into the bus but I couldn't.

    "Please wait for two minutes. I beg you" I pleaded. Just then Tina came running. Her scarf flying wildly behind her as her mouth breathed in pants. I gave a sigh of relief as she came.

    "I'm so sorry. I forgot it was today" She apologized to the angry herd of humans, completely out of breath.

    "Just enter" I snapped. We got in and sat on the only seats available somewhere close to the front. Amidst the hisses and  quiet insults thrown at us by the students, we giggled and laughed secretly.