chapter one.

Summer of 1962, California.

Moving to a place near Los Angeles all the way from New York was not on your 1962 bucket list. You had to say goodbye to the shops, all the street food, and most of all, the snowy winters.

So now you were helping your parents bring in the move in boxes. You hoped nothing got lost in the procession. Especially your photo albums and exclusive clothing items.

You were rich, for sure. So you didn't completely understand as to why you moved into a small town. And your clothes were very different from locals you saw walking by. Not so different, just looked more expensive.

A pair of jeans and a blouse. And the blouse had a floral pink print on it, your jeans were a lighter shade and your dark brown (almost black) hair was combed straight.

"Y/N! Come help your father get your clothing boxes! You packed a whole house with these three boxes!" Your mother complained, from inside the house with the humid weather.

"'Okay." You replied, your dad told you to just stay on the front porch and bounce a small ball you won from a gum ball sized machine for five cents.

"No, Emi I told you it's fine! Let our little girl rest." Your dad insists.

"But dad, I don't want to be a seen as a lazy child who's rich and a brat." You retort.

"But the thing is we know you're not." Your dad replied, "You get us good grades and you're very popular in your school!" He brought up.

"But we're not in New York anymore." You say, "So let me do my part with helping you guys." You add, "Anyway, why'd we move here?"

"Too much drama in New York." Your mother said.

"And the people there suck." Your dad voiced.

"True," You shrugged, "But couldn't we go somewhere to Los Angeles?"

"It's so hot there with no parking anywhere. And there's creeps there in Hollywood." Your dad listed.

"It's hot anywhere in Cali." You sass.

"Anyway, it's either you stop your yap and help us, or you can go back to the porch and explore." Your mom spoke.

"Emi, I'm telling you let our daughter just have fun!" Your dad argued.

"Look, do I or do I not help?" You question, a bit annoyed at the constant debate over your whereabouts.

"You know what? Don't help." Your mom sighed as she agreed with your dad.

"Cool, good for me." You grin, "Thanks." You wave before turning around and running back outside.

You weren't so sure on what to do, as watching the moving men give your parents boxes wasn't the most entertaining or enjoyable thing. But that was until you saw a figure walking across the sidewalk.

It was a Hispanic boy who wore a blue shirt with a white tank top and denim shorts. Naturally you definitely found him cute. Of course you did.

You didn't realize you stared for a second too long before the boy gave you a slight grin and wave. You looked idiotic as you blinked and processed what just happened, before you nervously waved back.