18- Aftershock

Lily glances up at the clock, unable to focus

    Lily glances up at the clock, unable to focus. What was left of their group had huddled in Lily's dorm. Alice and Sam were currently in the Hospital Wing, recovering, but had sworn not to tell the teachers anything. They had all agreed that until James explained to them, they wouldn't explain to anyone, and they had blamed Alice and Sam's injuries on a moving staircase.

Unfortunately, James and Remus were harder to explain. Both boys had to be sent to St Mungos, and neither had woken up from their coma yet.

The teachers knew the group of friends were too in shock to explain, so they had left them alone for the weekend.

So the only people left in Lily's dorm was her, Sirius, Regulus, and Pandora, whom Regulus was currently explaining the situation to.

"And they won't let us see them," Sirius cuts in. "Either of them. I asked Mia and they aren't even allowing her in."

"I wonder if he's still possessed and thats why," Lily muses. "How'd that even happen in the first place?"

Regulus shrugs from the end of the bed. "His eyes were hazel in the bathroom."

"Well maybe it was when he spoke parseltounge," Pandora says, crossing her arms. "I mean, that would make sense in order for the chamber holding a basilisk to open, right?"

Lily nods quickly. "That would make sense! Maybe there was a protection or something around opening it."

"How do we get him unpossessed?" Sirius asks, tapping his fingers anxiously against the ground. "I know I haven't been a good friend lately, but I'd never want any harm to come to him, he's my best mate."

"Do you think they'll reattach his pinkie?" Regulus asks, and Lily can see how green Sirius goes.

"His pinkie?" Pandora asks.

"He bit off his pinkie to transfigure it into a sword," Regulus recalls. "In order to kill the basilisk."

Lily shakes her head in disgust. "The things he does to protect people... but I'm sure they can fix it. And maybe he's not possessed anymore, since the basilisk is dead?"

"Or maybe he's fighting the possession and that's why he's in a coma," Sirius suggests. "It takes a lot of energy."

Sirius, was in fact almost right. James had woken up in a completely dark room, and soon figured out he wasn't in his body, as Tom was trying to figure out a way to kill him. Fortunately, he'd been subconsciously fighting him, but it was taking a toll on both boys.

James had managed to manipulate information out of Tom, and soon realized this Tom was a Horcrux that Voldemort had made when he somehow found out James was close to cracking the basilisk secret. Apparently James had been close for a while without realizing it.

So he just had to find a way to get his actual body to get stabbed with a basilisk fang while Tom was in him.

He nearly laughs at how wrong that sounds, but decides to stay focused. He distinctly remembers a basilisk fang stabbing into his sleeve, but not puncturing the skin. Fortunately, nobody had taken a look at him yet, meaning it was still there.