The nurse

The next day, Hugh lay in bed, his face showing more color, and his eyes were more alert. He tried to sit up.

"Please don't," Annalissa told him gently. She first fed him some water, patted his face dry, and then spooned some chicken broth into his mouth. "Perhaps soon enough you will feel well enough for some bread."

"Yes, I hope so. I'm not a fan of the porridge Grim makes in the morning. But don't tell him," he said, his voice carrying his pain and exhaustion.

"You remembered," he said, gesturing with his eyes at the book she had propped on the stool.

"Yes, of course."

She picked up her book and settled down on the stool to start reading in French. She had only read half a page when he stopped her.

"Stop."

"What is it?" Annalissa looked at him.

"Could you tell me what you are reading?"

"Oh, yes! Abelard and Heloise."

"Can you explain who they are to me?"

"They are famous lovers. I'm reading their love letters back and forth over decades."

"Oh, I thought they were the French Laurel and Hardy."

"Laurel and Hardy have better chemistry. Much funnier," Annalissa told him with a smile.

"Tell me about them," Hugh requested in English.

"Abelard was a famous philosopher during medieval times. Heloise was his beautiful young student. They fell madly in love. They had this beautiful secret love affair, then her rich uncle found out about it and was very angry at Abelard for taking advantage of his high social status niece."

"Not the fact that she was his student?" Hugh asked.

"No. Do you want to know more?"

"Yes, I'm listening intently."

"They continued their affair. Heloise ends up pregnant and has the baby in secret. Abelard proposes marriage, but Heloise isn't sure she loves the idea. Are you still with me?"

"Oh, I am all ears..."

"Good, this may be a bit squeamish for you... Meanwhile, Heloise's uncle finds out about the continued relationship and the baby born out of wedlock. He pays a goon to castrate Abelard."

"Oh, Annalissa! This is French love? I'm not so sure..."

"Abelard convinces Heloise to join a convent and become a nun while he becomes a monk."

"I really am becoming more confused about what you find romantic."

"And the letters they wrote to each other for the next so many years are..."

"I'm struggling here, Annalissa. Passionate?"

"Well, no. A lot of it is Abelard complaining about people he lives with and Heloise and Abelard struggling with a complicated platonic relationship."

"I didn't say it was good. I said it's very old and very famous!"

"Do you enjoy it?"

"No, not really."

"Fair. Now please read to me."

Annalissa read to him, and he listened, not understanding the ancient words or the language, but taking in her voice and the comfort of her presence, tracing his hands on the wool blanket.

When she finished several pages, she asked him, "Are you done?"

He wasn't sleepy. He was reinvigorated by her presence and her undivided attention speaking words at him. "I could listen all night."