A Strange Sound

"Do you remember me? You were little when you came with your mother and father. The American. I liked him," Grim said with a far-off look on his face as he led Annalissa through the house. He opened the door for her, revealing a dark interior that contrasted with the sunny warmth of Rose's yard. The horsehair plaster was dull, and the furniture needed dusting, giving the place a neglected feel. She was reminded of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves before Snow White did all that cleaning.

"Have a seat," he said, gesturing to the table. He pushed the plate of white bread, which the doctor had been snacking on earlier, closer to her, and filled a green glass tumbler with water from a matching pitcher.

"Did you tell your aunt you were coming?" he asked.

"No. I... I haven't seen my aunt in quite a few years," Annalissa replied, feeling numb. Her country was violated, and she felt alone.

"She probably went to town. It's a long hike, and there are so many people passing through," Grim assured her, choosing his words carefully. He pointed outside to the horse. "That's my horse, D'Artagnan. Do you like horses?"

"I've never been around them except for here," she answered.

They sat in silence, watching D'Artagnan trot in the field, occasionally kicking his legs up at the indifferent sheep. Annalissa noticed Grim's grapevines and a garden with a variety of colorful spring vegetables.

Suddenly, a piercing scream followed by a series of moans, made by a male who sounded scared and weak, rattled Annalissa. The noises came from beneath them, shaking the floor beneath her chair. Startled, she jumped up, but Grim hardly moved.

"Annalissa, do not be frightened," he said softly. "I am an old man who has helped many soldiers in my life. There is a young man beneath us. He is very sick, and he may not make it. My brother, you saw him outside earlier today, is a doctor who has come to help him."

Annalissa did not want to sit down again over the soldier's crying body. She crossed her arms over her chest and paced around the table.

"Is he French?" she asked.

"No, he is English, I think, Regardless he is not a German," Grim replied.

She was relieved. "So, he isn't a Nazi?"

"No, he missed Dunkirk," Grim replied.

Annalissa nodded, not daring to ask further questions.

A wide figure on a yellow bicycle in a yellow floral print dress dashed across the tall green field near where D'Artagnan played. "Aunt Rose!" Annalissa jumped up. Her bicycle was loaded down with bags and bags of groceries. She looked much older than the last time Annalissa had seen her.

"Thank you for the hospitality, Grimace," Annalissa said. She opened the door and ran towards her aunt's house.

"Aunt Rose! Aunt Rose!" Rose squinted her eyes. She dismounted from her loaded-down bicycle.

"Annalissa?" She guessed. Annalissa nodded.

"Love, what are you doing here?" Rose looked genuinely surprised. It had not struck her to prepare for bad news.

Annalissa struggled to look at her aunt, her throat locked up with the burden of telling her. "Maman died. She was very sick. She died before the Germans invaded the city." Rose nodded her head as she opened her arms wide to embrace her niece.

Memories flashed before Rose's eyes, shameful ones, like agreeing with her parents that the Irish American man was not suitable for her sister. She remembered the fight that broke out between her and Mona when she found out, and she never trusted her again. Her sister's heartbreak; all of theirs really, when her son Joseph died of brain cancer at three. The American husband's odd manner got worse. His drinking got worse, and then they had Annalissa. Mona seemed to love her daughter from a distance.

"I'm glad you are here. You will be much safer here than in the city," Rose said, her doughy white arms gripping Annalissa. Annalissa couldn't believe how much she enjoyed the hug and surprised her aunt by holding her back tighter.

"Have you been waiting long?" Rose asked Annalissa. "I ran into town for supplies. But between the travelers and the hysteria, the shelves were empty. I had to go furthenr than I expected."

"It's okay. Let me help you," Annalissa said as she grabbed the intertwined bags off the bicycle handlebars.

Rose's house was all yellow. The walls were painted butter yellow, her kitchen table was the color of sunshine with matching chairs, and her couch was lemon yellow.

Annalissa helped unpack canned groceries from a bag onto the counter when Rose stopped and looked at her.

"Where are your belongings?" Rose suddenly remembered Annalissa had bags.

"Near the garden. I have a few suitcases." Annalissa's mind frantically went to what of her mom's or grandparents that perhaps her aunt would have wished she would bring.

Rose led Annalissa to a tiny pink-painted bedroom with a brass bed with a pink quilt and a small oak chest of drawers.

"Will this do?"

"Certainly. It's more than I could ask for."

And it was nicer than her bedroom at home.

"I have 1700 francs. It's all mother and I had."

"You keep it. You won't pay rent."

'I'll start looking for a job as soon as I can."

"Your mom said you were a shop girl? You are so pretty, I'm sure anyone will hire you. But that's not what I meant."

"I want to work. Grim said I could also do work for him on his farm." Rose laughed. "Grim is a lot of things. You saw Grim?"

"Yes, he invited me over while I was waiting."

"He is an odd old man with the best intentions," Rose said.

They were silent for a moment as Rose watched Annalissa carefully unpack her modest wardrobe and place them in the drawers.

"How have you been, Aunt Rose?" Annalissa asked.

"Oh, you know... I am going through menopause. I'm fat. My roof leaks whenever it rains. The Nazis have taken over my country, but you are here. She smiled, Finish unpacking, rest while I make you something to eat."

Annalissa crawled onto the bed and under the soft quilt. She felt safe. Laying there, she could feel her body sinking into the mattress, but she couldn't sleep. Her ears stung with the moans of the soldier.

She forced herself up and into the kitchen.

"Couldn't you sleep?" Rose asked as she diced an onion.

"No, I wanted to see if I could help," Annalissa replied, realizing she was starving.

"It was a long trip, wasn't it? You were in the line with the others I saw?"

Annalissa nodded. Rose's expression turned serious.

"I couldn't imagine my country like this again," Rose said, looking at Annalissa. "You must be starving. I'll make you some eggs and toast." She moved quickly to set the table, and they reminisced about Annalissa's mom while Rose fried an egg. The conversation flowed comfortably like old friends until the topic of Grimace came up again.

"He has a soldier in this house," Annalissa said as she finished the last of her plate.

"A what now?"

"A Tommy who was hurt. He is taking care of him. He isn't sure he will make it, though."

"Grim is not well enough to care for himself, let alone a soldier. Tomorrow we will go offer help. Tonight you rest."