The road to Dunkirk

The soldiers marched off the roads and into the forest, hoping to make it to Dunkirk by morning on the second night.
"I can't wait to see my girl," Peaches sighed with relief.
"I can't wait to see my girl and my daughter," James added with giddiness.
They trekked through the midnight woods, protected by pine trees, around little villages with determination. They tried to be quiet, their boots hitting the squishy, mossy ground as softly and as quickly as they could. Bound to get to Dunkirk and see the boats by breakfast, they kept on. Then came the snap. "What was that?" Peaches said as they all started to run.
"It could be a tree. They fall in the woods," James said.
They heard another crack. It was a bullet. Then another.
"Could be a hunter," Peaches whispered as they hid behind a large pine.
"No," James said. "They use hunting dogs in these parts. They are hunting us," James said.

Hugh felt the steel burn through his shoulder. He ran until he couldn't, much slower than his friends.
"Run, Hugh, don't stay for me!" he cried.
He hid in a group of pines, dropped, and heard a pair of boots rhythmically marching over the squishy, soft ground, eagerly searching for him. The blood poured out of him. He tried to hold pressure on it before losing consciousness.