Chapter 12

Roy was thrilled at the sound of her light, rapid breathing. Only fucking or fear caused a woman to breathe like that. He would enjoy it either way with Haseena.

"Why are you calling me again when I specifically told you not to?"

"I was worried about you, Haseena," he said, "I'm calling to make certain that you're all right"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because of the company you keep"

He hadn't been able to believe his eyes when she'd arrived home followed by Karishma in her car. He could dismiss their meeting at the wedding reception as a bizarre coincidence. But two days in a row? It stunk to high heaven of police tactics.

Karishma Singh had given two short honks of her horn as she drove away. The only reason the bastard was still alive was because she hadn't gone inside the house with Haseena. But where had they been? How long had they been together? An hour? All day? What had they been doing?Roy had considered several ways he could kill Karishma Singh. Which method would inflict the most pain? He wanted Karishma's death to be painful, yes, but it must transcend normal pain. He also wanted the death to be humiliating. He didn't want to leave Karishma Singh a martyr, a dead hero.

He couldn't repeat what he'd done to her brother Anubhav. That would be unoriginal, and Roy was known for his creative flair. He would devise something unique, something special. Perhaps he would incorporate one of his scorpions. The fear factor alone would be ingenious.

However, it came about, killing Karishma Singh would be his masterpiece, the benchmark of his career. He must take his time and think about it very carefully. Of course, if Karishma had gone inside with Haseena, he would have been forced to act immediately, killing them both. Karishma for her poaching. Haseena for her infidelity.

It had then occurred to him that Haseena might be entirely innocent. What if she were unaware that Karishma was a cop? Karishma could be using her in the hope of getting to him. That was what he'd wanted to believe. To make certain of it, he'd placed this call.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Mr. Roy," she said, "furthermore, I don't care"

"I don't approve of your friends"

"I don't give a damn what you approve or disapprove. For the last time, leave me alone"

"I don't like your keeping company with cops"

Her silence was sudden and total, indicating surprise.

"I especially don't like your spending time with Karishma Singh. She's a loser, Haseena. Unworthy of you. Unworthy of us."

A few seconds ticked past. When she spoke, her voice was thin. "Karishma...? She's a...?"

Roy's grin spread wide. He'd been right. She hadn't known, "Poor darling. I thought you knew"

"Then what happened?"

"I've told you. About a dozen times" Karishma rubbed her eyes. They were scratchy from lack of sleep.

"Tell me again"

"After we left the barn, she went into her house. I was not invited inside"

"Do you think somebody else was in there?"

"I never saw anyone else. There were no other cars around. I have no reason to believe anyone was inside, but I couldn't swear to it. Okay?"

"Why didn't she invite you in?"

"Common sense would be my guess. She had only met me once. Briefly. And I show up at her place in the country with some half-baked explanation about how I tracked her down? I am a woman, I wouldn't have invited me in"