Chapter Three: The Paths of Destiny

"Angie... Look... The person you've known from yesterday was a lie just to protect you," I say with a upsetting tone, "I was a prior experiment rat by the JRF (Jomsuns Research Facility) whose sole purpose was to eradicate all of those with any sort of halfing DNA. My mother if I remember correctly said she met my father in one of the research facilities near the Helim district. But what I was told was mostly overwhelming to hear, my father tried to escape but ended his life trying to protect what would soon be a miracle of new studies, me. They quickly realized that in all accounts of either biblical history to our current world situation, that I was seen as an unholy creature. But my mother shown some sort of great motherly love. She protected me." I gaze into Angie's now saddened eyes, "I think that's enough, Angie. Besides I don't want to talk about what happens after that."
Angie gently pulls at my sleeve in great concern, "Liam don't be afraid to tell someone about your pain. My father always told me, 'Anytime you feel sad or confused or just downright angry. It's ok to let those close to you know how you feel'. So please, tell me Liam..."
I look away from Angies eyes to only find them drawn back to her innocent eyes. What is this feeling? Anytime she says anything it feels so comforting. I respond with a timid tone, "Ok... After that day, I didn't see her again. Until a few years later, I was ordered to kill a frail woman. In the end I found the very person's life I ended, was the same as the one that brought me into this world."
A single tear falls down my face, Angie quickly catches my tear before it hits the ground and softly reassures me, "So all this anger and guilt that you've built up was from your past. I guess you've been so lonely after all this time, from something incredibly painful. But Liam you can't keep going through this all alone. I am here for you. You protected me and so I'll protect you."
Why does she remind me of her? I've heard these words before, I'm sure of it. It's what my mother did that reminded me of her. My mother protected me but I ended up just destroying her motherly love. I don't want that to happen again, not anymore. "Angie," I say softly while holding her close to me. "Thank you for what you've said. You remind me a lot of my mother. The earliest memory I have of her was when she sang to me. She had such a great voice, she used to call me her treasured lovely dovely in all of her songs. But I turned my back against her after I was forced to kill my own mother. Or rather I killed everyone in my old life but I trapped myself in my old life."
Angie says, weeping with joy in her voice, "I'm sorry for you. And thank you for sharing your pain, Liam. I know it must've been so devastating taking the life of your own mother without any knowledge of what was really going on. But we're going to get through everything, together."
"Angie, I thought I was the one t-".
A sudden air horn blares which greatly trembles the air. In response to the air horn a womens voice can be heard over the megaphone, "Now I'm going to ask you again," the terrifying voice yells out, "Tell my why I should bother with you parasites anymore. All you do is cause great terror to those who have nothing. While you ransack our streets with your filthy hands. All you ever do is treat us humans like we are just so little to you." Suddenly the voice screams in a fury of rage, "This was our world, not yours you filthy halflings. We worked our damn fucking asses off to make our world the way it was with no powers. But you... you filthy, power hungry swine took our world away. You caused a great imbalance to our utopia. To cause such anarchy should be punished. We have that very same right as our founders have done. We will take back our home. We will rebuild our planet. We will take back earth from these impure, disgusting things." The megaphone hisses as it turns off.
I check the corner while I hold Angie's mouth so she doesn't scream. Shit its purists (humans who kill halflings in horrific ways, while preaching about how halflings are nothing but parasites in their world). Mad hysteria break amongst the captured halflings, a young boy is later plucked from the group. "Please let me go," the child's voice screeches, no older than Angie's age I'd say, he is brought up to one of many purist leaders.
"Tell me child," the voice hisses to the child's face, "Why should we even let you go, you filthy parasite?"
The child tearfully responds, "I didn't want to be born with this. I wanted a normal life. I never asked for this curse," as the boy tearfully shouts.
"Then there's only one thing to do then," the voice replies. I turn both me and Angie away from the corner as I hide her from what came next. A sudden gun shot echoes through the sky and the voice only replies, "To be unborn you filthy halfling." A sudden barrage of gunfire fills the air.
"Angie we have to go now," I say quietly. I grab her hand and grab both of our bags. "We have to get out of here or else..."
"Or else what?" A voice says from my back. I turn around to only be hit with something on my head.
"Angie!!!" I cry out while I fall down to the ground. 
A whispered voice speaks into my ear before I lose consciousness, "It's going to be ok, my treasured lovely dovely..."