Chapter 8: Katniss

After the parade, which I hate to admit but I enjoyed, we start making our way to the elevator. We are stopped when Haymitch introduces us to the two tributes from District 11, Chaff and Seeder. Seeder looks like she could be from 12, she has the dark hair and olive skin. But her hazel eyes mark her as being from a different district. They seem nice but Chaff pulls me into a sloppy kiss making me cringe as I pull away.

"Watch out for that one," Haymitch chuckles. "He'll drink all your whiskey." I roll my eyes and bid farewell before the three of us board the elevator. Just as its about to close, a leafy arm reaches through and soon the rest of her follows. Its Johanna Mason, District 7's only remaining female victor.

"You two looked amazing," she says as she starts to tear off various parts of her leafy attire. "My stylist is such an idiot. I'd love to put my ax in her face." She turns to us and smirks. "How does it feel to have the whole world want to sleep with you?"

"I don't think the whole world wants to-," I start but she cuts me off.

"I wasn't talking to you," she says. She turns her back to us and looks over her shoulder at Peeta. "Unzip me?"

"Sure," he says. I shoot him a glare and he shrugs before unzipping the back of her jumpsuit. She shrugs it off and just stands there in nothing but her green slippers. Its odd how comfortable Johanna is. She just stands there making small talk until we reach her floor.

"Lets do this again sometime," she says as she walks out, leaving her outfit in a heap on the ground. Peeta looks at me, asking me to say something, but I turn away.

Once we get to our level, I walk strait out and into my room. Peeta tries to follow but I slam the door in his face and lock it. I go to take a shower and gently run my fingers over my baby bump. I wonder what it is. I've had a feeling that its a boy, I don't know why but as soon as I figured out I was carrying a child, I've thought of my child as a boy.

I get out of the shower and put on my clothes, deciding not to wrap my stomach because the only people in the penthouse are people who already know about the baby and avoxes who can't tell anyone. I lay on my bed and stare up at the ceiling. I hear someone start knocking on my door.

"Who is it?" I ask.

"Peeta," he says.

"I don't want to talk to you right now," I say.

"Please Katniss," he says. "We need to talk about this." I think about it for a moment before getting up and unlocking the door. I walk back to my bed and turn away from the door. He comes in and sits beside me."I'm sorry Kitten, I shouldn't have done that."

"It doesn't matter," I say. "It's not like I let you look at me so if another girl lets you, you might as well enjoy it. I just didn't think you had to enjoy it so much."

"Katniss,"he says.

"No Peeta," I say. "You and I both know I'm never gonna be confident with how I look. Its just, we don't know how much longer we have together. I wish I didn't have to watch you flirt with other girls and end up being mad at you right now."

"Katniss," he says. "I don't like her, I love you. She means nothing. I won't ever look at another woman the way I look at you. You are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen and nothing is ever gonna change that."

"I know, I just don't want to spend our last few weeks together mad at you," I say. "Although I think that's partially the babies fault. I can't really control anything that goes on anymore."

"I love you Kitten," he says.

"Why do you call me that?" I ask him.

"Because you are cute like a kitten," he says.

"But I hate cats," I say.

"That doesn't matter," he says. "Your still my cuddly kitten, even though sometimes I get caught in your claws."

"Alright, alright," I say laughing, "I'm not mad anymore, you can stop sucking up to me." I wrap my arms around him and he returns the favor, gently rubbing my abdomen.

"We need to figure out a name for the baby you know," he says.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because then we won't have to wonder if the other one would like the name pick out, although its gonna be you," he says.

"Oh Peeta, I don't want to think like that," I say.

"I want to know the name you want to give her before I die," he says.

"How about you pick a girls name and I pick a boy's name since I know you think it's a girl and I think that he is a boy," I say.

"Okay," he says. "I want her to be named Brook. That is of course if its a girl. What about you?"

"I think that is nice," I say. "It's similar to what I want to name a son."

"And what is that?" he asks.

"River," I say.

"Why?" he asks. "Not that it's not a nice name, I love it, its just I know you have a reason for naming him after a body of water."

"I want our son to be River because," I say choking up a little. "that is how many tears I'm going to cry if you don't come out of that arena with me."