I rushed outside and hopped in the same ATV we had taken yesterday. It was still dark outside, and I could barely see where the door handle was. I felt a fluttering in my stomach that was unfamiliar and sensitive. The engine was already running, so we couldn't talk and hear each other, but I waited anxiously for some kind of reaction about my appearance.

We traveled down a dirt road that went behind the barn and alongside a fenced cow pasture, eventually rounding a corner into the woods. The entire property must have been at least twenty or thirty acres. Lightning bugs dotted the bushes, creating a string light look along the path. The sound of crickets and frogs became audible as we approached a small pond. I could barely make out a rope hanging from a tree, swinging ever so slightly in the soft breeze.

Nick parked the ATV and turned to me. "I like that color on you."

"Thanks," I blushed. I secretly wondered if that was a way of dodging a comment on my actual appearance, but I took it.

It was now about 6:15, and the sun would be coming up within the hour. Instead of going to the edge of the water, Nick led me to the mangled looking tree with the rope tied to it. The roots were large enough that they protruded a foot or so off the ground. Before I could even blink, Nick was in the water.

"Just stand on the knot and let go when you're over the water," Nick shouted. "You can kick the tree to push off."

I looked around hesitantly. "Are you sure this is safe?"

"Since when did you care about that? You've never been scared of anything," he replied.

"Well," I faltered. "We haven't really done anything that could break my legs."

"You won't break your legs, Francie," Nick laughed, shaking his head. "It's only a foot drop. You're not tall enough to reach the bottom of the pond. I'll catch you, if that'd make you feel better."

I nodded and grabbed onto the rope. Lightly tapping my foot against the tree trunk, I swung over the pond and let go, nearly falling back-first. It was definitely not a graceful Hollywood fall. The water was freezing, and I almost felt numb in the skin. Nick grabbed me as I awkwardly hit the water.

"That's one way to do it," he prodded, wiping the mascara from under my eyes. "I don't think I got all of your makeup off last night."

"It's okay," I shrugged. "It's not like I can see very well right now."

The only lights were the moon and the lightning bugs. I couldn't see much besides Nick and the outlines of the trees, which extended far into the sky. Nick was able to stand in the water, but I was not, so I kept my arms wrapped around his shoulders. In the back of my mind, I wondered if I would accidentally kick a fish or something else floating in the water.

"Does anything live in here?" I motioned at the surface of the water.

"Not really," Nick replied. "Except for the alligators."

I tensed up, my eyes widening. "Alligators?"

"I'm just messing with you," he sighed, shaking his head. "Do you really think I'd have you jump into an alligator-infested pond?"

"I don't know," I shrugged, looking away. "It wouldn't be the craziest thing that's happened this week."

Nick placed his hands on my waist. "You just can't trust everyone. I'm not saying anything is your fault... I just want you to be more careful. That's why I'm trying not to move so fast. I don't want you to regret anything."

There was a brief pause, as I wasn't sure how to respond. I could see the very top of the sun emerge from the top of the trees. The orange glow lit up the water, allowing me to see clearer. This only made my imagination more tempted to wander.

"It was always you," I said, contracting my arms closer together. "I didn't know it at first, but then I saw you in the lavenders. Don't ask what those are; it's a long story. Just don't worry about moving too fast. Time will work how it's supposed to."

"I don't want to mess it up," Nick replied. "I always play things safe."

"Well," I sighed. "Maybe there's a middle. Take some risks; I won't go anywhere. What are you thinking about right now?"

Within half a second, we were face to face, as he had tightened his hold on me. I wrapped my legs around his waist and placed one hand in his hair. As our lips locked, I closed my eyes, my face absorbing the heat of the rising sun. His hands traveled from around my waist to my upper back. I sighed slightly as he kissed the side of my neck, cupping my shoulders. In response, I curled the fingers of my left hand to sink my nails into his back.

Birds chirped as the sun fully emerged from behind the stately pines. The warmth of the sun and the heat of the moment blended together nicely, feeding into my desire for more. Truthfully, in that hour, I felt myself become a woman. I was ready to grow up. No one else made me feel that way, not even Bryce, and definitely not Graham. I knew Nick wanted to take it slow, so I would have to ease into my thoughts and feelings... but I was okay with that.

•••

We had made it to the barn around nine that morning. After our moment, I jokingly asked Nick if he wanted to play mermaids, and he actually agreed. I picked to have a purple tail and he chose green. When I asked him what his mermaid bra looked like, he said that his mermaid house was off the coast of a topless beach, so he didn't need one; I certainly did not expect that level of imagination. We dried off and headed back shortly after.

Today was the day we were heading out to the beach, so all of us began working on packing our beach bags. Nick and I were already packed from going to the pond. I went to the loft area and watched the other girls get ready, taking some time to brush out my own hair. Jamie had dropped off donuts at the doorstep for us to have before we hit the road. Everything seemed to be picture perfect, but something felt off.

"Did we forget anything?" I looked at Araceli, who was plucking her eyebrows.

"I don't know, we didn't pack together," she replied. "What do you think you're missing?"

I shrugged and looked away. "I'm just overthinking. Ignore me."

"What did you and Nick do this morning?" Araceli had questions of her own.

"Oh, nothing," I sighed, shaking my head. "We just went swimming."

"Your cheeks were rosier than the floral section at a grocery store, I know it was more than that," she jested. "But I won't pry. I think someone is outside."

A faint knocking sound was coming from downstairs. I saw Devi open the door, and Bryce was standing outside, a bouquet of flowers in his hand. Devi and Bryce talked for a bit before Nick approached them.

• AUTHOR'S NOTE •
Sorry for the slow update! This chapter was kind of awkward to write. I promise that there's lots of drama coming up :)