"Oh, I'm glad you asked," Ethan replied cheerfully. "This is Canergy's new Recharge Popsicle! It's like our energy drinks, but in popsicle form. We have passionfruit, strawberry kiwi, watermelon, and mixed berry flavors."

I didn't even know what a Canergy drink was, but free is free. "I'll take a strawberry kiwi and a watermelon, please."

The strawberry kiwi one was not for me; I decided to be nice and get one for Nick. I was sure that whatever crazy idea he came up with would go smoother if he had caffeine. Hazel had told me earlier that she knew what the plan was, but she wasn't allowed to tell me. I was careful not to get any juice on my pale yellow dress.

"I think I know what you're doing," Araceli whispered, elbowing my side.

"Shut up," I laughed, rolling my eyes.

Everyone took turns ordering, some people taking four or five popsicles to bring back to their friends. Ethan asked us to take pictures with the product and tag the company. We obliged before heading back to the float.

"Well, if you're gonna market caffeine to anyone, college students are the best choice," I jested. "That and people who work night shift. Maybe he'll take the truck by the hospital and the industrial park after this."

"Ow!" Nicole, who had previously made the papier-mâché hot air balloon comment, winced after biting right into her popsicle.

Emma whipped her head around "Bitch, are you serious? Are you a monster?"

"It's food, I'm supposed to bite it," Nicole snapped. "I need it to warm up some."

"O—kay then," I chided, shaking my head.

When we got back to the float, I walked over the the passenger side window and handed Nick the strawberry kiwi ice pop. It was somewhat melted, but still resembled its original shape, so he took it. I neglected to mention what type of popsicle it was.

"Thanks, Francie," Nick blushed. "Where did you get this?"

"Some guy with blue hair gave away a bunch of popsicles for free to promote his company," I informed him. "It has—"

Nick tasted the popsicle, and his face immediately scrunched up. Timmy started laughing.

"Why do I taste a bit of battery acid?" Nick pursed his lips.

"Caffeine," I replied. "I was trying to say it's caffeinated.

"I would hope it is," Nick retorted, analyzing the popsicle like it was a piece of evidence from a crime scene. "It's like they milked a battery straight from its teat."

"Okay, buddy, it's time to play the quiet game," Timmy interjected, a judgmental look on his face. "Just be quiet and control the music for the rest of the drive."

Nick pressed a button on the screen on Timmy's truck radio, and tropical music started playing. I waved to them and walked back to the float. Right after I hopped on, we started to move, and I began to see crowds in the distance. It would only take thirty minutes for the parade route to conclude at the football stadium. This was where our fate was decided.

•••

"Run the damn ball!"

Chants erupted as the Great Oak Giants faced yet another third-and-long. Despite booking a much smaller college to play against for the homecoming game, they were losing 28-7 with three minutes left in the second quarter. A sea of green and yellow, our school's colors, began to throw trash on the field. Braxton Ernest, our quarterback, proceeded to throw an interception, which was turned into a touchdown with seconds on the clock remaining. The vibes were horrible going into the halftime ceremony.