The teen didn't respond, trying to pry his arms out of the woman's grip. When that didn't work, his sobs became louder as he gave up trying to hurt himself.

Seeing the pain in his eyes, Rosie felt her chest become tight with emotion as she pulled the teen into her embrace, hushing him ever-so gently.

"Shhh. It's okay... everything will be okay." Rosie spoke softly. "Just relax. Shh. Take a deep breath. It's okay."

Sam relaxed in Rosie's arms as his sobs became mere cries, though, he didn't know quite why.

She felt so warm and motherly... he didn't want to let go.

~

The dining room was quiet. All that could be heard was the sound of Edith grabbing a few small crackers from the side of her plate and crushing them in her hands.

Sam's stomach was begging him to eat the food that was in front of him, if he could even call it that, but his brain didn't allow it. Instead, he watched in utter disgust as his younger sister dropped the crushed bits of crackers into the bowl in front of her.

Alastor was right next to him. Every night it was the same thing. He was forced to sit there and watch his sister consume... someone.

He couldn't say anything. He couldn't tell her what she was doing.

She doesn't know. She doesn't understand.

That's all he could tell himself. Did that change anything? No. The man sitting to his right made him very much aware of what would happen if he told anyone, including Edith, what was happening.

Sam watched as Edith ate spoonful after spoonful. Now, he wasn't as concerned about how hungry he was anymore. Instead he was most concerned about how nauseous he was. Just because he couldn't speak about what was happening didn't mean he had to watch.

"Excuse me." He said with little emotion as he stood up and rushed back upstairs. No doubt to his room where he'll stay for the rest of the night.

He closed the door behind him and sat on the edge of his bed. He didn't feel anger, he didn't feel sadness... not anymore. What was happening? Why was he feeling nothing? He felt cold and his heart felt weak. It felt like he was living his life as a ghost, haunting a vessel he only had the illusion of controlling.

Nothing surprised him anymore. It was as if he had already lived his life once before and was just rewatching it.

It was like he was standing in the middle of a crowded room, unable to speak, unable to cry, unable to scream, unable to express the invisible pain he was feeling but no one else could see.

He was powerless... and it hurt...

~

Alastor had an annoyed look in his eyes as he watched the teen leave his meal untouched yet again, but his smile remained. Of course it did. He never stops smiling.

Edith watched on as well. Her already toned down mood got worse. She could feel the tension between Alastor and Sam. It was thick and suffocating but she kept her mouth shut about it.

A week ago, she was awoken by the sounds of the two have a very vocal argument about something. She had no idea what it was about but it terrified her. Alastor wasn't yelling but her brother was. She had never heard him scream like that before.