Chapter 5: Tom-ay-toe, Tom-ah-toe

Start from the beginning

Sorbit succeeded in getting the baked pastries from the shop and the two friends headed back to the Academy. Once they were back Aster thanked Sorbit repeatedly, who assured her friend it was no big deal. Aster was still very grateful, she wasn't used to having friends she could count on when she needed them.

Finally, she was ready to put her plan into action. The Greenwood was a beautiful site to see, flourishing with brightly colored flowers, trees, and brush. Aster pursued further into the trees and was astounded even more by the enchanting scenery. She loved the woods back home, but it was nowhere near as ravishing. It was the perfect home for the Fae, whenever they visited from the Other Realm.

Aster decided to leave her treats near a beautiful rose bush. She sat them carefully, tied up in a basket with ribbon. She considered leaving a note, but realized that would be something she would do for another human, not a Faery. She decided there wasn't much more left to do, and went back inside the Academy for the night.

The next day, Aster returned to the spot she had left her treats. They were gone, but there was no sign of any Fae Folk. She waited around, but decided to leave after a while. Sometimes it takes the Fae time to warm up to humans, so she wasn't too discouraged.

Sebastian returned home sometime in the evening. He and Aster decided to catch up in the back courtyard near the Greenwood. Aster kept her eye out for any sign of the Fae, but didn't notice anything.

Aster explained her uneventful journey to Jobbleville and the even more uneventful trip inside the Greenwood. She told him that it was expected though, and she figured with more time she would gain the Fae's trust. After she finished, she asked Sebastian how the weekend with his mother went.

"As well as it could I guess," he told her. "I think she tries to put on a brave face when I'm around."

Aster realized at that moment that Sebastian had never mentioned his dad before, or anyone else for that matter except his mother. "So does your dad take care of her, then?"

Sebastian's brows immediately furrowed closer to his chestnut eyes. "No. My dad was a good for nothing who left when I was a kid. My mum sure knows how to pick them because now she lives with my good for nothing step-father, Roger."

Aster wasn't quite sure how to respond. "Good for nothing?"

"He's a total arse," Sebastian explained, his face twisting even more as he spoke. "He can't stand me. Treats me like absolute garbage. They met two years ago, and he hid his disgust of me long enough to marry her. I never really liked the guy, but he also never really affected me. We kept to ourselves and from what I could tell, he made my mum happy. But once she grew ill, he really let his true colors show."

"I'm so sorry, Sebastian. That's horrible. Does he treat your mom badly now, too?"

"No," he said, his face beginning to lighten. "He cares for her well, at least when I'm around. I'm grateful for that. But I can't help but think it's all an act. I'm not convinced he truly loves her."

"You think he married her for a different reason?"

Sebastian nodded, sullenly. "I'm not sure what for. It's not like we have money." He sighed before continuing. "It's hard to explain. Once you meet him, you'll understand."

They began to walk back towards the Academy, as it was growing close to dinner and on the weekends they served dinner in the Dining Hall. Their conversation had ceased, both of them occupied in their own thoughts.

All of the sudden, Aster stopped dead in her tracks as a force collided directly into her face. Out of the corner of his eye, Sebastian could only see an explosion of red moist bits splatter across Aster's head. A few chunks of slimy mush splashed onto Sebastian, soon causing him to realize the sudden detonation was a tomato thrown directly at Aster.