"You look so aesthetic! Let's take a picture," I say aloud before opening Instagram to post the picture on my story. I don't have many followers, just some friends and family... and Nick. He's always bonding with me when he's not interrupting my moments with Alec.

Alec doesn't follow me, of course. I've stalked Nick's account enough times to find Alec's. What? Everyone does that! It's not a biggie. Alec doesn't have one anyway.

I post the picture with a caption, "I love these with all my heart," before checking the time and realizing I'm going to be late for work. Crap! I rush to take a shower, hoping I can make it in time.

******

I finally make it to the office on time, despite missing two cabs. As I'm heading towards my desk, a familiar voice stops me in my tracks. "Evie! Wait up!" It's Sarah, holding a bouquet of red carnations.

Sure, I have a preference for pink over red when it comes to carnations, but I can't deny the fact these look very pretty.

"This came for you," Sarah says, smiling mischievously, and I can't help but raise an eyebrow.

For me? Who sent this?

"Who's it from?" I ask, intrigued.

Sarah shrugs. "No idea! But it has a card," she replies, wiggling her eyebrows playfully. "Don't worry, I didn't see it," she adds quickly.

I laugh, shaking my head. "Don't even start now!" I joke, taking the bouquet from her. "Oh, and I'll take that meeting with Priya in 30 minutes. Make sure you have everything ready," I add before closing the door behind me and stepping into my cabin.

I set the bouquet on my desk and pick up the little note sitting on top of it. It's a beautiful white envelope but there's nothing written on it though, and as I open it, I find a card inside.

"Because you love these with all your heart," written in typewriter font.

I freeze, a sinking feeling settling in the pit of my stomach.

Alec!

Of course, Nick must have shown Alec my Instagram. It's the only explanation for him sending those flowers with that note. Damn it, Nick!

Great, just great. Now he's going to think I'm some kind of lovesick puppy, pining after him or something. I'm not. I don't think so. I shake my head, trying to shake off the embarrassment, but it's no use.

A smile tugs at the corners of my lips as I look at those pretty flowers. I kind of liked his handwritten note better, there was something about his personal touch that made it extra special, but it's okay, he's a busy surgeon, so I get it.

I can't help but feel a warmth spreading through me as I think about Alec taking the time to send me flowers.

I swear, just when I think I've got my head screwed on straight and I'm ready to put some distance between me and Alec, he goes and does something like this. It's like he knows exactly how to make my heart do a backflip, no matter how hard I try to run away from him.

I mean, seriously, sending me flowers with that sweet note? It's like he's playing some kind of unfair game where he always wins. And here I am, trying to keep my cool, trying to keep my distance, but damn, it's frustrating, you know? Wanting to walk away, wanting to keep my guard up, but then he goes and does something like this, and all my efforts go out the window. Ugh, why does he have to be so damn irresistible?

I'm not going to text Alec a thank-you message like last time. No way. If he thinks he can just send me flowers and sweet notes and I'll fall into his arms, he's got another thing coming.

Maybe if I play it cool, act like it doesn't matter, he'll finally get the hint and back off a bit. It's worth a shot, right?

So, I'll just leave those flowers on my desk, ignore the little note, and carry on with my day like nothing happened. Yeah, that's the plan.

******

I'm finally wrapping up for the day and ready to leave when Will pops up behind me. "Hey, Evara!" he calls out, and I turn to face him with a smile. "Hey, Will! What's up?" I ask, curious about why he's here.

"We're going out for drinks. You wanna join us?" Will gestures to the group-Rahul, Sarah, Emily, and himself-all spinning their fingers in the air. I consider it for a moment before declining. "Um, no. Thanks for inviting me, though. I'm too tired," I reply honestly.

"No worries," Will says understandingly. My phone starts ringing. I quickly glance at the screen before addressing Will.

"I have to take this," I explain, offering him a small apologetic smile.

"Yeah, sure. See you tomorrow," Will replies with a nod before heading off to join the group.

"Thanks, see you," respond, returning his nod as bring the phone to my ear, ready to answer the call.

"Hey, Nick," I answer, curious about why he's calling, as I start walking out the door.

"Hey, Evie. What are you doing tomorrow?" Nick's voice comes through the phone.

"Um, working?" I reply, a hint of confusion in my tone.

Nick cuts to the chase. "Can you take the day off?

"Depends. Why am I taking the day off?" I ask sounding lost.

"Because you're going to a party," he says, his tone leaving no room for argument.

"What party? What are you talking about?" I ask, genuinely puzzled. Nick explains that they're throwing a Holi party at his parents' house tomorrow, and of course, I'm invited.

"Don't break my heart, Evie. Just show up. I'll text you the address," he adds, sounding almost pleading. Which is just an act, I know, come on it's Nick. I can't help but laugh at his dramatics.

"I don't think..." I start to protest, but Nick cuts me off with a firm "uh-uh, nope. No excuses." His persistence is both exasperating and endearing. "You are like my only female friend..." he adds, sounding genuine.

"Like it's a privilege?" I joke, but Nick's response catches me off guard. "Hell yeah! I don't do friendships with girls. You're an exception," he says, and for a moment, I'm touched by his sincerity.

"Sure. I'm the luckiest girl on this planet to get friendzoned by you," I reply sarcastically, but Nick quickly shoots down that notion. "No. You mean something to me," he says, his words melting my heart.

"Hey, you can't emotional blackmail me!" I protest, but Nick just smirks through the phone. "Try me," he challenges, and I know he won't give up until I agree. "Okay, okay. Text me the address," I finally concede, unable to resist his persistence.

"That's what I'm talking about! Bye, Evie," Nick says cheerfully before ending the call. I bid him goodbye and hang up.

A text pops up with the address, Well, looks like I'm going to a Holi party tomorrow.