Leaves of Jannah (Jannat ke patte)

"Fine! You are right." He took a deep breath and spoke again. "Can I ask something?"

"Ask!" Now his voice felt a bit distant.

"Has anyone ever brought the leaves of paradise for you?"

"When have the worldly people seen the paradise Major Ahmed?" Her face looked strained.

"That's why we worldly people don't know what the leaves of Jannah look like. If someone ever gets them for you, treasure them. They will not let you go astray."

The strain on her face relaxed gradually, she became alert...who was on the other side of this frosted glass?

"Are you listening?"

"Yes,.....yes" startled she tried calming down. "I will leave now." She was removing the receiver from her ear when he spoke again.

"One minute, I have to ask one last question."

She settled down again."Yes ask."

"Will you marry me?"

She felt a huge blow. Startled she kept staring at the frosted glass.

"Tell me Ms. Haya!!"

Her lips turned into a frown. More than being shocked or surprised, she was angry.

"Not Ms. Haya, Mrs. Haya!" She gritted every word through her teeth. She grabbed her purse and stood up. She was still holding the receiver.

"What do you mean?" He looked shocked.

"Too bad you have so much information regarding me but you don't know about the nikah that already took place in my childhood. That nikah which took place with my cousin Jihan Sikander in my childhood. I am married and my husband stays in Turkey."

"Oh those relatives who never visited Pakistan? I know your phuphu's family who will never even look in this direction because of shame and insult.

Afterall they had done a shameful deed. You are waiting for them? Oh! and the nikah done in childhood is over in one hearing by the court."

"SHUT UP! Just Shut up Major Ahmed!"

She shouted. "How dare you speak like this? To hell with you and that video, i don't care even if you run it on tv. To do one task you are asking for something so big in return. And as far as Jihan Sikander goes, he is my husband and I love him. No one can enter my life except him. Do you understand?"

Before slamming the phone she heard him laughing loudly. She stomped her feet towards the door. Just then the officer who had earlier accompanied her entered inside, as if he was instructed immediately. The meeting was over and it proved very difficult for Haya.

"The car is waiting for you ma'am! Please come." He moved aside to pave a path for Haya. Haya turned and looked towards the frosted glass.

Behind the frosted glass, the half burnt face man was bent and doing something. Maybe he was writing something. She felt like she saw somethjng that was red on the desk. Maybe it was a bouquet of red roses or maybe it was her imagination.

The moment she sat inside the old mercedes car, the officer bent down and gave her the bouquet of roses. Though there was no letter alongwith the bouquet and the roses were not white but she was sure that the nameless letters that she had received were from Major Ahmed and he knew her from much before.
"Take this away and throw it on your Major Ahmed's face." She threw the bouquet in the officer's hands and closed the door. The Mercedes then sped away