Prologue.

Brooklyn didn't think life could get any better than it was at the moment.

Here she was on her day off sat contently on the couch with a book, the muted sounds of the outside world on a nice mid March afternoon, relaxing her and a cup of coffee sitting on the coffee table in front of her.

After holding onto her promotion as the Lieutenant in her precinct for the last little while, her Commanding Officer, Captain Grenwald, announced he would soon be retiring to spend more time with his family in late January.

And he wanted Brooklyn to fill his spot as the new Captain.

As if her job couldn't get any better, she got promoted to Captain and was now Captain Billings.

Which was crazy to think that 6 years ago, she was Detective Billings, then 2 years later, she was Sergeant Billings, then 2 years after that, she was Lieutenant Billings.

Now she's Captain Billings.

Phil couldn't be any more proud of his love. And he made sure she knew how proud he was of her when she announced it to him and their friends. (😏🤭).

Doug couldn't agree more with Phil, neither could Stu or Tracy or Lauren. No one could be anymore proud for her than all of them combined.

And being a newly appointed Captain meant more income and more control over her hours.

Safe to say Brooklyn was doing well.

Phil was great off in his teaching position, plus with more extracurricular activities the school board was having the staff do, he was doing pretty good making bank as well.

There was only one thing Brooklyn wanted more than anything, and that was to become Mrs Wenneck.

Everything else in her life was amazing, except for that one little part. Captain Wenneck sounded good in her head, so why not make that reality?

After Stu's and Lauren's wedding 2 years ago in Thailand, her and Phil sat down and had that discussion about marriage and their future together.

There was no one else Brooklyn loved more than Phil. Maybe Paul Walker (R.I.P.😞) but Phil was just above him. (Lol).

She never thought that hers and her brothers best friend would become the one person she physically could not live without.

But after that insane night in Vegas when her big brother was getting married, that was when everything changed.

Now here they were.

It was just seconds after she was thinking hard about the last few years when the back door opened.

And there emerged Phil, dressed in his trademark blue button up shirt-black suit vest black-tie teacher outfit combo, carrying his signature brown leather briefcase and keys as he kicked off his shoes and set the items in his hands on the counter.

"Hey babe," He smiled as soon as he saw Brooklyn, opening his arms for her to run into with a long kiss on her lips when she did.

"Hi, how was work?" She asked, fiddling with the collar of Phil's shirt as he sighed.

"Let's just say there were a few times I had to start counting down from 5 to get them to listen," He stated. "It's always the first month or two where they get on my nerves. They don't sit still, they don't stop talking. Christ, it was a rough day."

That is true. The new school year had just started last month, which meant a whole new class of middle schoolers that were starting to learn they needed to smarten up, which was always Phil's least favourite part.

"Just give it some more time and they'll warm up," Brooklyn advised, lightly scratching her nails through the light scruff of Phil's facial hair.

With a light smile, Phil gently pressed a kiss to Brooklyn's forehead. "Hey, I have a surprise."

"Oh?" Brooklyn questioned, an eyebrow raised as Phil stepped back a little bit.

"Just trust me," He asked, a light chuckle in his tone. "Close your eyes."

Wary, Brooklyn followed Phil's instructions and closed her eyes. "You're not gonna pull a knife on me, are you?"

Chuckling, Phil shook his head 'no' even though Brooklyn couldn't see. "If you think I'm gonna pull a knife on a Police Captain, I'm concerned about the other times you've been asked to close your eyes," He chuckled.

There was a short pause, neither of the two saying anything until Phil broke the silence. "Alright. Open up."

And there was Phil...

On one knee...

With a small box in his hands...

Brooklyn's hands cupped over her mouth on instinct, her jaw fallen slack as her eyes began welling with tears.

"Phil—."

"Brooks, I've been waiting the longest time to do this and if I don't do it now, I simply will lose my absolute shit. Everyday for the last 4 years, you've made me fall in love with you just a foot deeper than the last. I promise to love you for the rest of our time on Earth together. I promise to stand by your side against the world. And I promise to fulfill the position of your husband for the rest of my life. I've never lied to you before, and I never plan to..." Phil spoke, trailing off at the ending of his little speech as he opened the small box, revealing a beautiful white gold 3 stone engagement ring nestled securely inside. (Picture at the end of the prologue).

"Brooklyn Alexa Billings, I promise to love you every moment of forever. Would you do me the extraordinary honour of marrying me?" Phil asked, holding the ring up a little higher, tears now slipping down his absolutely gorgeous face.

"Philip David Wenneck, I will marry you!" Brooklyn cried happily, making Phil immediately smile and stand from the floor.

Pulling his now fiancé in for a long and hard passionate kiss, Phil then slid the beautiful ring onto Brooklyn's finger, gently kissing the top of her hand like a princess before pulling her in for a hug.

"I love you, so much."

"I love you too."

And before they even realized it, the now engaged couple were snatched up together in their bed, completely rid of their clothes and were celebrating their engagement exactly how they came into this world.

Naked and screaming.

(Jesus fucking Christ I'm not well 😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅).

Photo of the ring 😉: