-Chapter Eight- Teenager In Love

/he's a teen, a teenager in love/ i'm a fool with a curse and a crush/ what a magic distraction/

-teenager in love, neon trees

It had been several days since the Expo, and Y/n was pacing her room, panicking. She had decided that today was the day that she'd head to Old Corona to visit Varian- which had seemed like a good idea until it was actually time to go.

Y/n had picked today because Rapunzel and her companions were all occupied, dealing with some sort of drama with Cassandra and one of her... friends. Of course, she doubted they'd have cared that Y/n wasn't there anyway- they never invited her, after all- but better safe than sorry.

Fashion had never been a concern of Y/n's, and she tended to just wear whatever was comfortable. However, her realization a few nights ago seemed to have seriously messed up her brain, because now she was finding problems with every single thing she put on. Eventually, Y/n had decided on a white collared shirt, a black vest with golden buttons, puffy (f/c) shorts that stopped at her knees, and the (Y/n)rium necklace. To finish, she pulled on her tall, dark (f/c) boots over white stockings, taking as long as she could in an attempt to stall.

Still, it was no use- Y/n was now dressed, ready, and all out of excuses. She glanced in her mirror in an attempt to boost her confidence, and paused for a moment. Y/n's golden streak stood out against the rest of her hair, despite not glowing since the encounter with the rocks. She laughed softly as she looked down at her outfit, giving it a small twirl- a month ago, her parents never would have let her go out like this, but it was different now- maybe the only upside to everyone essentially forgetting that she existed.

Taking a deep breath, Y/n pushed her door open and strode down the hallway confidently. She navigated the twists and turns of the palace, working her way towards the doors. Y/n passed a few maids and guards along the way, but barely any of them looked at her, and those that did didn't seem to care. So what? You're trying to be inconspicuous anyway!

After only a few minutes, Y/n had reached the stables, smiling when she saw her (c/c) horse, (H/n), waiting for her.

(H/n) was a tall, (c/c) horse with a fierce personality- she typically refused to let anyone but Y/n ride her, although she had tolerated Varian a few days ago. Y/n had been with (H/n) for years now, since she had picked up riding as a child.

She hefted her saddle, a black leather seat with a golden sun, and fastened it to the horse's back securely. She did the same with a bridle, and placed one foot on her saddle, swinging her other leg over and mounting (H/n). A few moments later, they were off to Old Corona.

─── ⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅ ───

An hour or two had passed, and Y/n saw the familiar surroundings of Old Corona begin to come into focus again. She noticed the cluster of black rocks from the day of the Expo, and despite their... dark allure, she made a conscious effort not to approach them. She did have somewhere to be, after all.

She stopped (H/n) down the path from Varian's house, and tied the reins to a post next to a tall apple tree. Y/n reached up and gently tugged an apple off of the branches, holding it out to (H/n). "Stay here, alright?" she whispered with a smile, before she began the walk to Varian's house.

The house seemed to have recovered from the damage Varian's machines had caused, or at least somewhat- the damaged sections were partially rebuilt, and all the holes had been patched up. Y/n took a deep breath as she stepped up to the door, taking a moment to look down at her clothes, brushing off some of the lint from her horse's saddle. She took a moment to gather her courage, before knocking on the door.