THREE

"Damn him," I hissed softly, "damn him and God forgive me for saying so."

Edward was quicker than he looked and cleverer than his enormous head made him seem. I always thought his ego had made it difficult for him to see above his ankles, but this once, I was mistaken.

Edward had imprisoned Aethelflaed in her own quarters, locking her away until further notice. By further notice, I assumed he meant the betrothal. He had done the same to Aelfwynn, locking her in her room with Leofgifu while the wedding preparations were being arranged.

I could do nothing for Aethelflaed and Aelfwynn together, I had to pick one to help, and I chose Aelfwynn, as Aethelflaed would have expected.

Two guards stood outside Aelfwynn's room, one short and stout and the other tall and broad. They spoke quietly to one another, yawning every now and then, no doubt, complaining about having to miss out on the fun.

I huffed quietly, backing away from the wall I had been peering around before I stormed down the corridor, bundling my yellow dress up into my hands. I needed a way around the guards, and simply watching them would not spark ideas.

Aelfwynn's room was far from the main hall, per Aethelred's requests when he still lived. He did not like to see her so she lived nearer the kitchens and the granary. Unintentionally, that decision of his seemed to actually help Aelfwynn, at least, this once.

"You there," I called out, stopping a servant girl from walking out of the building with a tray in her hands, "where to?"

The servant girl blinked quickly before bowing, "To the hall, ma'am, to collect the plates, ma'am."

An idea, half baked as it was began to form in my head, and I held out my hand, "Give it to me."

"Ma'am?" The servant girl frowned in confusion, looking down at her empty tray.

"Oh, for the love of God," I snatched the tray from her hands, "I require your tray!"

"Yes, ma'am," the servant girl nodded hastily, "anything else, ma'am?"

I scanned my eyes over the other servants, squinting slightly, "You wouldn't happen to have a plate of biscuits or a pitcher of milk?"

"Ma'am?" The servant girl frowned, moving back slightly as a number of servants bustled past us, heading for the kitchens.

"Never mind!" I cried, rushing after an elderly servant, grabbing a metal teapot off her tray, "This will do." I balanced my tray, setting the teapot on top of it before I scrambled to grab more dirty dishes off other trays. I was satisfied once I had a teacup and saucer along with a few untouched biscuits from someone's snack plate.

I felt the gazes of the confused servants on my back as I rushed back up the corridor, but I paid them no mind. I had a plan now, and I was almost thirty percent sure it would work.

I stopped at the side of the wall again, glancing around the corner hastily before I looked over the tray once more.

If the guards were clever, they would realise how foul the tray looked, but I was counting on the fact that Edward's guard would be much like their owner: dim.

I took in a deep breath before turning the corner and swiftly walking down the corridor, holding my head high.

The guard jolted upright as they saw me, trying to appear more intimidating, "Halt! No one is to come down here."

I continued on until I stood in front of them, holding out the tray, "I have come to deliver the Lady Aelfwynn's bedtime snacks."

"No one is to be down here," the short and stout one repeated, "King's orders."