𝖎𝖎𝖎 | the changing

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘 .ᐟ

❛ the changing ❜

   𝗧𝗛𝗢𝗠𝗔𝗦 felt a hand cover his mouth as he slept. his eyes opened immediately finding alby reaching down to his face. his pointer finger rested softly against his lips signaling thomas to be quiet.

alby shushed him before removing his hand from thomas' mouth.

"follow me." alby says, motioning him to follow.

thomas watched him as he began to walk away, sitting upright in his hammock, grabbing his boots and sliding them on.

he quickly caught up to alby who was walking towards the fields.

"it's peaceful, isn't it?" alby asks, "i know it's hard to believe, but it wasn't always this way."

the two continued walking, to where? thomas wasn't quite sure. his eyes looked down finding a knife in alby's hand, causing his nerves to biild up even higher.

"we had dark days." alby continues, "we lost a lot of boys to fear. to panic. but we've come far since then. established order, made peace."

"yeah." thomas nodded, squinting his eyes at alby, "why are you telling me this?"

"because you're not like the others." alby explains, taking a step toward thomas, "you're curious. but you're one of us now." alby says, handing the knife to thomas, "you need to know what that means." alby points to the wall he had led thomas too.

thomas turns to the wall of the maze, finding dozens of names carved into the stone. he glances toward alby, in which alby responds with a nod of approval. thomas walks up to the wall, reading each name.

gally.

minho.

wick.

newt.

alby.

archie.

chuck.

frypan.

zart.

ben.

emilia.

his eyes scanned over all the names he was familiar with. most of the names on the wall were plain. a few of the others, etched out.

j̶u̶s̶t̶i̶n̶.

a̶l̶f̶r̶e̶d̶.

s̶t̶e̶p̶h̶e̶n̶.