Chapter 11

If anyone would have asked Harry what he remembered from that night, they would have been surprised at his clarity of thought. He could recall every single aspect of the day. From the smell of the pancakes to how the wind tasted. But, of course no one would because Harry was currently at the glorious age of one and a half year old.

31 October, 1981.

Lily, take Harry and go! It's him! I'll hold him off!

The solid thud of a body hitting the floor.

Not Harry! Please...have mercy...have mercy...Not Harry! Not Harry! Please-I'll do anything!

A jet of green, green, green light, a second body thudding to the ground.

Cruel, cruel laughter echoing in the night.

Red, red eyes gleaming with cruelty and fear.

Green, green eyes reflecting calmness and acceptance.

And just for a minute, a minute, indecisiveness creeped into ruby eyes, hand wavering in fear. The next second, iron will overtook, the same iron will that pushed the young child to be the prefect, the prefect to be the head boy, the poor orphan to the perfect student, the weak, pathetic, pathetic powerless to be the most powerful.

The two most dreaded words ever were uttered in a high raspy tone, before the room filled with green light, just as the bolt of energy and death reached the child, a chilling mist rose from the shadows, forming an intangible shield in front of the child.

As the green light neared the shield, time itself seemed to slow down. Harry and the otherworldly beings are the only ones aware of it. The monster who used to be a man not even blinking. Harry poured all his magic into the shield, sweat forming on his skin as his breath began to struggle to even enter his lungs. His entire body burned.

Just as quickly, the shield dissipated, and the green, green light continued moving, except it's predetermined path had changed and now it turned back on it's caster. Voldemort's eyes barely had the time to widen in disbelief before he was blasted off his feet, his soul ripped into two pieces one fleeing away from the room, the other floating around the room looking, searching, yearning for something to bind itself to.

Last time it had just latched onto the last living thing in the room, Harry, yet unfortunately for it now, Harry was neither alive nor dead right now. While physically he might be called 'alive', the horcrux a construct of magic could not recognise that it could latch onto him. It floated around pathetically, dulling in its essence slowly.

"What will you do?" A raspy voice asked from behind the baby.

"Take it I suppose. It will be easier that way no?"

The being behind him said nothing, merely pulsing in and out of existence. They sat in silence as the shadows reached out to the horcrux, the soul fragment screaming in agony and fear. The shadows covered the fragment, the scream being muffled before being cut off completely. As soon as the horcrux vanished, Harry's eyes rolled into his head and he collapsed.

Just as the baby's head hit the mattress of the cot, a figure in white stepped into the room from the shadows. She bought her hands, cupping them as golden mist began gathering. She closed her eyes as the mist began spilling from her hands, tumbling to the floor, creeping towards Lily's body. A few curls of mist made their way downstairs, intent on reaching their second target, James. Just as he mist touched both the bodies, a soft golden hue emitted from the entire house before sinking into the bodies and disappearing.

"It's done." Evangeline whispered to Death.

Without another reply both beings melted away from reality just as the sound of a motorcycle lit up the sky. The motorcycle landed haphazardly in the front garden, disregarding the nosy neighbours gathering outside the house, kept away by the wards, the young man with the messy hair rushed into the house, the broken door breaking away another piece of his soul.