Chapter 8

Miles away from manors filled with Dark Lords and babies with unnatural power, on a lonely cliff in an unnamed part of an abandoned seaside town, met two men. One with a beard as white as snow, the other with black robes that blended into the night sky. One soaring in the light, a leader as bright as the first rays of the sun, the other hiding in the shadows, fearing and craving the light in equal measure.

"Why have you called me here Severus?" Albus said quietly. "Does your master know you're here?"

Severus didn't say anything, his face half covered in shadows and thoughts. Doubts plagued his mind as his mouth failed to produce words. Was he really about to do this now? Was he really about to betray his master? His eyes closed in pain, images of green eyes and red hair flashing by. Images of a friend, someone who cared, images of a childhood gone by, a friendship rotted by his own perverse pride and cowardice.

No. No, he wouldn't let her down again. He couldn't.

Even if she didn't love him, had never loved him, he still loved her, and he would do anything for her. He would save her. Even if the world burned, he would not let her die. With that, his decision made his masks in place, he looked into the grave eyes of the headmaster.

"I have information." He proclaims.

Dumbledore doesn't say anything, a passive look on his face, while his brain whirls with ideas and thoughts. This was an unexpected development. Whether it might be good or bad is yet to be seen.

"I am willing to give it to you in return for a favor."

"What is the information?"

"I want your word first Dumbledore, that you will give me my favor."

The silence around them was permeated by the howling wind and the mist from the crashing waves. Dumbledore's mind was in a conundrum, to take the shot or not to take the shot. But, Albus Dumbledore was always one for chances, always willing to let others change.

"Very well, you have my word."

Severus nods, an unknown tension leaving his body. He was halfway done now. Lily would be safe now.

"What information do you have?" Dumbledore asked. His fingers tightened around his wand. He wanted to give him a second chance, but he wasn't naïve enough to trust him yet.

"The Dark Lord knows about the prophecy, and he has decided that the Potter child fits the criteria."

Dumbledore stilled. His heart stuttered with shock. He hadn't expected this outcome. He had known that Severus was there, listening to him, and had known that the Dark Lord would find out about the Prophecy.

"How much?"

""The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches

Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies"

"Small mercies." Dumbledore murmured.

"My favor Dumbledore." Severus said, his dark eyes boring into Albus's. Albus knew better than to try Legilimency on Severus, he knew he could keep him out easily.

"What do you want?" He asked instead.

"Lily's life. Promise me you will make sure she will survive."

"Only her?" Dumbledore asked disappointed. He had known about the young man's affections and was saddened that it only extended to her and not her son, if not her husband.

"Only her." He replied determined.

"Not her son?" Dumbledore enquired softly.

A sneer formed on Snape's face, loathing and disgust clear on his features.

"Potter's spawn is of no consequence to me." He spits out. Hatred for his childhood enemy glossing over generations.

"He is also Lily's son."

Snape didn't say anything. To him the boy would always be Potter's spawn, not Lily's. Never Lily's.

"I gave you information, now give me your word."

A tired sigh escaped Dumbledore's lips. "I shall do my best to protect Lily and her family."

With a curt nod he turned away, striding back to where he could apparate away from. When he was almost out of reach of Dumbledore, he decided to give him one last piece of advice.

"You have a spy in your order." With that and a crack, he left the old wizard in fear and apprehension.

"What is this about Headmaster?" James asked as he sat in an armchair opposite the huge and imposing desk in the headmaster's office. It was quite late at night, but Dumbledore had said that it was an emergency and wanted them to come as soon as possible, all three of them.

"We are almost ready to move to the safe house, but I'm still unsure if it's the right move." Lily said carefully as she adjusted Harry in her arms. He had woken up when they were getting ready for Hogwarts and was now actively paying attention to what was happening.

"I'm afraid I have some bad news. I have...not been entirely truthful with you."

The young couple stiffened. James's arm going around his wife's shoulder, holding her close.

"What do you mean?" He asked in a strained voice.

"When I received the prophecy, I wasn't the only one there. A death eater overheard it and reported it to Voldemort. That is why I was sure Voldemort would target either your son or Neville and wanted you to go into hiding."

He paused to gauge the young couple's reaction, James looked carefully blank faced while Lily looked horrified.

"I was contacted by someone today, from the dark side, he warned me that Voldemort has made his choice."

He struggled to put it delicately, the words of comfort escaping him, turning into empty platitudes. How do you tell someone their child, barely a year old is considered a threat to one of the worst people in the world? How do you tell parents who were barely into adulthood that their son would always be a target until said immortal dark lord was dead?

"It's Harry isn't it?" Lily asked, a haunted look in her eyes.

Dumbledore winced, his chest constricting at the pain in his ex-students eyes. He wished he could have spared them the pain, he wished he could have stopped the violence spreading, he wished he could have spared the world and not placed it on a child's shoulder, he wished he could have helped young Tom away from this path instead of being suspicious of him and pushing him here.

"I am so sorry my dear." He said mournfully, looking into the green eyes of the young woman, always so expressive, now drowning in so profound he thought it might strangle him. He wondered how she was handling it.

"I will do everything to make sure he doesn't find you, I will do everything to try and end the war before it reaches you, but..."

"You think Harry will be involved." James whispered, his head bowed, his expression hidden in shadows. "After everything, especially what happened with Lily, I think the prophecy is in play."

The only sound following this proclamation was the fussing of Harry, who kept twisting in his blanket. Even after five minutes when it seemed like they wouldn't speak, Dumbledore spoke again.

"This person, also told me that there is a spy in the order, I would advise you to be careful, and not let many people know where you will be moving to. I would also advise you to put up the fidelus and please don't tell anyone where you are."

It was at this point that Harry stilled completely before screaming his lungs out, his still untamed magic lashing out in a magical wind. Lily and James immediately tried to cajole him and calm him down, telling Dumbledore they'll be in touch before carrying the still upset baby out of the office.