chapter 24

“Mother,” Sana repeated, frozen in the hallway. She blinked, once, twice, mouth open. Y/n could practically see her mind working . “What…”

“Yes, darling.” A frosty smile flashed on the woman’s red lips before she swept into the hallway, suitcase dragging noisily after her. She leaned close to pull Sana into the quickest, stiffest hug Y/n had ever seen. The woman – Mitsuko, Y/n remembered dimly – removed herself to hold her daughter at arm’s length, bright dark eyes cold. “If I’d known you were here I wouldn’t have dropped in on you so suddenly! You didn’t tell me.”

“No, I…” Sana trailed off, mouth hanging open. Her voice sounded very young and soft. “I don’t understand what you’re doing here, Mother. You hate this place.”

“Yes, well,” Mitsuko’s lips flattened into a tight line. “Your father’s away on a work weekend and I’m having the house redecorated. You know I can’t abide the smell of paint, it’s not good for my migraines.”

Sana paused, brow slightly furrowed, cheeks pink. The door was still standing open – a chilly gust of wind rattled through the bare trees outside and into the hallway. Y/n shivered. The pale winter light gleamed off Mitsuko’s dark auburn hair. Her eyes never left her daughter.

“You’re looking…” The smile froze on her face as she swept a critical gaze over Sana, lingering on her outfit. The brunette was clad comfortably in Y/n’s red knit sweater, yoga pants and winter boots, face mostly clean of make up. “Cosy.” Mitsuko finished. Finally, her cool dark stare landed on Y/n. Whatever she was really thinking, her face didn’t show it. Y/n braced herself.

“And you must be Y/n.” Mitsuko’s voice was light and controlled, red smile frozen on her lips. “How wonderful it is to finally meet you. I must say, I was getting concerned.”

“Um,” Y/n stared. “Nice to meet you too.”

“Yes, well. You must forgive me for not meeting you sooner.” Mitsuko gave a smile that could cut glass. “My daughter doesn’t think it’s appropriate to involve me in her private life.”

“Mother –” Sana tried feebly.

“Take one of my cases, sweetheart, you know my arthritis is spreading.” Mitsuko barely spared a glance as Sana rushed to close the door behind her and take the suitcase. “Now, are we going to stand about in the hallway all day? Come on. I need a good strong coffee.”

She brushed past Y/n and Sana without a second glance, heels clacking loudly on the hardwood floor, staring around the corner and into the den.

“Louis!” Mitsuko called. “Louis!” Her lips pursed into the start of a frown. “Where’s my grandson?”

“He’s in Portland for the weekend, Mother.” Sana reminded her. “With Wonwoo.”

Mitsuko made a tutting noise to show what she thought of that. “I do wish you’d tell me these things, Sana.”

“Well, it’s only one weekend.” Sana told her, words clipped and polite, almost sharp. Underneath though, Y/n could hear the waver of uncertainty. “I didn’t think it was any of your concern.”

A heavy sigh escaped from the older woman as she turned, hastily unbuttoning her trench coat. She folded it carefully over her arm the same way Sana did. “Sweetheart,” Mitsuko sighed theatrically. “We’ve talked about this. Now come on, how about that coffee?” A fresh smile appeared on her lips. “I want to hear about everything.”

+++++++

Ten minutes later, and Y/n was sitting in her wheelchair at the coffee table, enjoying the most tense conversation of her entire life.