chapter 8

"I'm gonna see you again, right?" I sobbed in Daanz's shoulder as I hugged him tightly, my voice and body shaking. "Of course. I still have to kick your ass in a duel, remember?" He let go and smiled, pretending that he's not scared of the upcoming event for him and the rest of the survey corps.

I don't wanna leave. I wanna stay and go on with them with the expedition but I know its already too late to change the formation. And I wouldn't let them change the formation, after all those hard work they put in, because of me.

I already hugged everyone, saying goodbye and taking in each and every moment in, just incase some of them don't come back. Which I know most of them wont. I hugged Daanz last and the longest, and his hug was what pushed me over the edge as I began crying.

He was the reason I joined the scout regiment. He wanted to help and serve humanity; I wanted to protect him. I didn't want anything terrible to happen to him and now, I'm leaving him behind.

I let him go and backed away from everyone, staring at their faces with tears and hope in my eyes.

Levi didn't come out of his office to say goodbye though, so I didn't get to hug him for, maybe, one last time. They said they knocked but he never opened the door.

I sighed and hugged my long dark gray sweater closer to my body as the air got crispier. I turned around once the horse's feet on the carriage started knocking on the cobblestones on the floor.

I put my cases in the carriage and looked back at my team. "Good Luck.." I whispered as my gaze floated from the group to a large tree in the field by the castle. Levi's silhouette leaned against the dark wood, underneath the branches and leaves. His hand clutched something on his chest, which I'm guessing was my necklace.

"Wait for a moment?" I asked the man on the front of the carriage before he nodded and I started walking towards the tree. My feet moved slow, too shaky and scared to say goodbye to him.

I finally stood in front of him, my head low as I played with the hems of my sweater. I felt the team's stares, sharp like needles, on the back of my neck. I ignored them and looked at Levi.

I smiled at him and did the signature salute, while he frowned at me. I looked down again, feeling embarrassed.

"I didn't wanna say goodbye.." He whispered, as I looked at his small nose, too scared to look him in the eye. "I didn't wanna say goodbye because I know I'll see you again, so you can tell me how much you love me." His lips formed into a half smirk as my blood started boiling to my cheeks.

"Whateve-" I started to say but I was interrupted by his two strong arms wrapping around me, tightly. He let his head lay on my shoulders, slightly in the crook of my neck as I kept my arms on his chest and my eyes wide.

A few moments of silence later, I finally snaked my arms around his waist but he pulled away and started walking off before I could pull him closer. "Don't be such a brat while I'm gone." His voice, shaky but still cold as he set my necklace in his pocket.

I waited until my cheeks cooled down before walking back to the carriage, where I saw the team staring, shocked, at me except for Hanji.

I smiled a confused smile at them before Hanji yelled "I knew that was gonna happen", embarrassing me.

I closed the carriage door and quickly told the driver to move before they bombarded me with questions. I stuck my head out the window, waving at them with tears in my eyes until I couldn't see them anywhere.