Chapter 3 - New Home

Blue Soul reached the top of the grassy hill, ears twitching. Berserk was again bothering his mind.

Finding a place to live, eh? The wolf had said. Do you need my help, cub?

"I am not a cub!" he retorted so loud that Viper's Hiss and Rumble both jumped.

"Who said you are a cub?"

"Uhh, no one."

"Really?" Viper's Hiss's eyes were narrowed.

"Yes," he replied.

Rumble was staring straight at Blue Soul, eyes wide. "What was that...?"

"What was what?" Blue Soul questioned.

"Never mind," Rumble muttered.

Though he didn't know what Rumble was staring at, Blue Soul was sure this young wolf somehow sensed something strange around him. Berserk.

Well, that wolf knows about our little "secret"? Berserk said suddenly, as if reading his mind.

"I think so..." Blue Soul whispered, looking at the gray wolf.

"I think so what?" Viper's Hiss's voice snapped Blue Soul back to the living world.

"Well.." Blue Soul began, only to be interrupted by Rumble's loud growl, "Should we be looking for a home or not?" and they set off.

***

By the time the sun had set, the wolves had reached a small, cozy-looking nest and were starting to settle in.

Rumble, looking exhausted, was happy to lay down and rest at last. Viper's Hiss, however, was still standing at his full height, with a determined look on his face.

"Aren't you tried?" Blue Soul had asked him each time he brought a small prey and drank some water.

"No." the tough-looking wolf replied.

"Well then, maybe it's time you go and bring back prey—I mean small prey like slow hares or something you can catch alone," he added quickly.

"I know—" Viper's Hiss froze. "What was that?"

Suddenly, a strange howling, unmistakable of a wolf, echoed through the sky. Rumble stood up at once. "What—"

Shocked, the companions turned around, eyes wide and ears twitching.

A bright red-brown he-wolf stood in front of them, wounded deeply. His amber eyes were still wide and panicked.

"Plea- pleaze help 'e!" he managed to yowl before collapsing in front of Blue Soul's eyes.