Chapter 2 - New Friends

Blue Soul stared at the brothers, eyes wide. "I-I am Blue Soul," he replied unsteadily.

"Blue Soul..." Rumble, the dark-gray he-wolf said slowly. "Nice name!"

Taken by surprise, Blue Soul stepped back. "Y-you are not attacking me?" he squeaked.

Viper's Hiss tilted his head to one side. "What are you saying, Blue Soul? Attacking you? Why will we do that?"

"Oh." feeling a little stupid, Blue Soul blinked. "So... where are you guys going, and what are you doing for spying on me?"

"Spying?" Rumble laughed. "That's a little rude, you know."

"I mean watching." Blue Soul corrected. "Why?"

"Just curious why are you talking to yourself like crazy," Viper's Hiss explained.

"Oh. That was just" a growl echoed in his mind before he could finish. Silent, child! Don't say our conversation out!

"Sorry..." Blue Soul muttered. He looked up and found the wolves staring at him.

"What was that?" Viper's Hiss and Rumble said together.

"Nothing." Blue Soul explained quickly. "Now... what shall we do?" he changed the subject.

"For one thing, we should eat," Rumble told him. "It's already past noon, and I am hungry."

"Then what?"

"Then..." Rumble thought for a moment. Viper's Hiss answered for him. "You can tell us about yourself, and we will tell you about ourselves!"

"Okay. Sounds like a good idea." the young wolf agreed. "So... let's hunt together?"

"All too sure!" Viper's Hiss said. "We can hunt for a deer!"

"Or an elephant!" his brother, Rumble, joked. "Just kidding," he mumbled when all eyes turned on him.

"I'd like to see you trying to catch one," remarked Blue Soul.

"Well, me too!" said Rumble brightly.

Viper's Hiss glared at his brother. "Enough of jokes, Rumble."

"Why? It's fun," Rumble protested.

"Can we talk about something... more formal?" Viper's Hiss retorted.

"Can we talk about something more fun?" Rumble shot back.

"Stop it, you two!" Blue Soul growled, standing between the twins. "We are here to hunt, not to argue about something pointless,"

They froze. "...Alright."

Blue Soul sniffed. "That's more like it. Now come on, let's get hunting."

"Okay." the wolves agreed.

***

When they returned, Berserk appeared in Blue Soul's mind once more.

Excellent hunting, he observed. A nice dear will do so.

Blue Soul snorted. "As if you can eat this alive deer."

And I can... Berserk said slowly.

"What do you mean by "And I can?" Blue Soul growled.

Well, you killed the deer, right? He continued as Blue Soul nodded. Which means I can have its soul.

"Y-you are crazy!" the young wolf exclaimed.

He sniffed. Crazy? Of course, I am. Who killed the wolves the most? Who once took over this forest and ruled as king?

Blue Soul opened his mouth wide, but no words came out. "Fine," he muttered and began to ignore Berserk's voice.

The wolf sat down and waited for his companions to join him. They were still splashing happily at the lake below the mountain and drinking the cool liquid. Blue Soul yowled impatiently.

Viper's Hiss and Rumble immediately came running towards him.

"Sorry, we're just having fun." panted Rumble.

Blue Soul snorted. "Alright," he mumbled. "Come and eat now."

So they ate.

After finishing their meal, Blue Soul got up. "I think we should start finding a place to sleep tonight," he declared.

His companions nodded their agreement, and the three friends walked together to find their new home.