Chapter 5: Dream Ending

"Huhuuu.."

As Mayya arrived home, she was seen crying because she had just shot the innocent bird.

Hikam, her father, followed her into the house and approached the crying girl. "Why are you crying, dear?"

"I just hurt that animal *huhu*," Mayya answered through tears.

"Didn't you shoot a wolf yesterday?" Hikam asked.

"They're wicked, but the bird is innocent *huhu*," Mayya replied, still crying.

Her father wiped her tears, calming her down.

"Relax, dear. I instructed you to do so. Because out there, there are many unexpected things, we must be brave to take whatever action is necessary. You're a brave girl, you've shown your skills, and I'm proud of you," her father said, comforting her.

Mayya simply nodded, smiling, and hugged her father again.

"I'm proud of you no matter what, my child. You must be strong," her father praised her again. Mayya nodded again in her father's embrace.

"Mayya! Mayya! Since you didn't go to the field with me, now you'll help me at the market," Eldoria, her mother, called from outside the house.

Mayya released her father's embrace, "okay Mom. Bye Dad!"

Hikam smiled at his daughter, letting her go with her mother.

The girl walked out, "I'm ready, Mom."

"Help me carry these buckets of wheat, dear," her mother instructed, pointing to the bucket filled with wheat.

"Alright, Mom." Mayya lifted the bucket and walked to the market, followed by her mother from behind.

As they walked, her mother asked about today's events, "what did you do with your father earlier, dear?"

"Today dad trained me in shooting again, he gave me a cooler slingshot he made. Dad also gave me many challenges," Mayya explained in detail.

"Good, dear, but be careful with that slingshot. You could hurt someone."

Mayya fell silent after realizing that she had just shot a wounded bird.

As they continued chatting, they arrived at the market. As usual, Eldoria arranged her stall and put some wheat ready for sale.

Several hours passed, and all of their wheat was sold out. Mayya was very happy, she helped her mother tidy up the equipment to go home.

But while cleaning up, Mayya's eyes caught sight of two girls dancing in the middle of the market to the rhythm of a song.

"Wow.." Mayya exclaimed in awe, remembering that the festival in Chuza was just around the corner.

"I must go there with Lyra, Chuza here I come!" Mayya spoke to herself with excitement after seeing the two girls dancing.

"Mayya, let's go!" Eldoria shouted to her daydreaming daughter.

"Oh yes, Mom, coming." Mayya then lifted the items to be taken home.

---

The next day, a day when her mother didn't work harvesting wheat because almost all the wheat had been harvested yesterday.

The girl named Mayya only helped her mother in the kitchen preparing lunch for their family.

"Should I ask or not," Mayya hesitated to ask about permission to go to Chuza village for the festival after seeing people dancing at the market yesterday.

"Just ask, Mayya," she encouraged herself, mustering the courage.

As her mother cooked, Mayya dared to ask, "Mom, can I ask you something?"

"Of course, dear."

"M-mom, next week there's a festive festival in Chuza village. Can I g-go with Lyra!?" Mayya asked, fearful yet confident she would be allowed.

"No! Chuza village is far from our village. Why would you go there!? I won't let you go that far, especially since you're a girl and there's a lot of danger outside our village!" her mother replied firmly, refusing Mayya's request.

Mayya's eyes filled with tears after hearing her mother's refusal, "o-okay, Mom."

Her eyes couldn't take it anymore, she started crying while walking out of the house, her father just watched her from outside with a pitiful look on his face.

After Mayya was a bit far from home, Hikam entered the house and asked his wife, "what's wrong?"

"Your daughter, she said she wants to go to Chuza village for the festival. Look at her, she's a girl, there's a lot of danger out there, we don't know what will happen to them. I won't allow her to go just like that."

"Eldoria, look at our daughter, she's starting to grow up. I think she can handle herself out there with her skills and bravery."

"Still, I can't. I don't want to see our daughter get hurt out there."

"She won't, my wife. She and Lyra will be fine out there. Let them chase their dreams," Hikam persuaded his wife again.

His wife fell silent again, not responding to her husband anymore.

Turning to Mayya, the girl ran to Lyra's house. There, Lyra was outside sitting reading a book. "Lyra!"

"What's wrong Mayya!?" Lyra closed her book and looked at Mayya who was sad.

"Why are you sad Mayya?" she asked again.

"I just asked my mom about our trip to that village, but my mom refused it just like that," Mayya explained then she started crying again.

Lyra looked at her, feeling sorry. She patted her and began to hug Mayya.

"It's okay, Mayya. If you can't, I won't go there without you," Lyra replied with a smile.

"Really?" Mayya asked while crying.

"Yes, we can postpone our dream. The festival will happen every three months, we can go some other time."

"Alright Lyra," she said happily.

"I think I should go home, Lyra. My mom will be looking for me," Mayya continued.

"Alright, go home, I want to continue reading this book," Lyra said, showing her storybook.

Mayya, who was no longer sad, returned home. There, her mother and father were waiting inside the house.

When the door opened, Mayya was confused about what was happening.

"Sorry, Mom, I went to Lyra's house for a while. What's wrong, Mom?"

Eldoria, her mother, looked at her sharply and began to ask again.

"What was your purpose in going to Chuza village?" her mother snapped again, making Mayya's heart beat faster.

"I just wanted to dance and participate in some shooting competitions there, Mom. And they say the village is beautiful during the festival," Mayya replied, afraid and ashamed.

"Are you sure!?" her mother snapped again.

"Y-yes, Mom, it's just my dream.." she replied with her head bowed.

Her mother didn't respond to her daughter's words anymore, she went to her room holding her head in pain.

Once again, her mother didn't answer anything. Mayya then approached her father with a confused face.

"Dad, what's wrong with Mom?"

"I don't know, dear, I don't think your mom will agree with your dream. Let it be just a dream," her father replied.

His words hurt Mayya, she started to feel sad and hugged her father.

"I'm sorry, dear, but you have to accept the reality that the outside world can be cruel. Especially since you've never traveled that far before," her father said, trying to console her.

Mayya remembered Lyra's words and remained steadfast despite her father's words.