20; chasing after you

Start from the beginning

Turning away from the door, Ishan sank to the floor, the chill of the tiles seeping through his clothes. He heard Shubman mirroring his action, their backs pressed against opposite sides of the door.

It was ironic how just a month ago, Ishan was the one pleading Shubman to open the door to the bathroom. Now, their roles had reversed, with him barricaded behind the door while Shubman pleaded for entry.

"Go away," Ishan replied, trying to sound firm but his voice betrayed his vulnerability.

"Just once. Please let me in, just one-" Shubman's words were cut off as Ishan's voice rose almost to a yell.

"Stop saying things that makes it harder for me to stop loving you! Stop saying things that make me fall for you even more! Just stop..."

Shubman's lips parted, attempting to search for the right words, those three words that he kept bottled up for so long, the ones that Ishan both craved and feared. "Ishan, I-"

Ishan interrupted, "Shhhhhhhh," his voice weak.

"Don't say it. Or else... I'll crumble. I'll unlock the door, hug you.. kiss you... Don't make me any weaker than I already am. Don't do this..." He pleaded, his hands covering his ears as if to shield himself from Shubman's words.

"Leave," Ishan uttered, his voice barely audible, "Please."

Shubman's resolve crumbled at the sound of his plea. He felt like a balloon deflating, weaker than ever before.

.

.

.

As the sound of footsteps faded away, Ishan let out a shaky breath, his shoulders slumping in relief.

Tears welled up in his eyes, tracing salty paths down his cheeks as he allowed himself to surrender to the overwhelming bag of emotions.

"It hurts..."

࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪ ˖ ๋࣭ ࣪

Shubman found himself stepping outside the hotel after receiving a text from Naina, someone he hadn't spoken to in ages.

Her message stated that she was outside the hotel, waiting to meet him. And so, without bothering to tidy up his disheveled appearance, he made his way downstairs to meet her.

Along the way, he garnered some stares from passersby, probably wondering why he looked like he'd been through a storm, but he couldn't care less. Appearances were the least of his worries today. He'd dealt with worse today anyway.

Outside, he spotted Naina leaning against a car, her smile brightening at the sight of him.

Shubman attempted to reciprocate the gesture, but all he could manage was a feeble, sorrowful grin.

"Damn, you look like shit," remarked the person emerging from the car. It was Aditya. A nerve at the back of Shubman's neck twitched involuntarily at the sight of him.

Naina shot Aditya a death glare, prompting him to raise his hands in surrender.

The trio stood awkwardly, Shubman awaiting Naina's reason for their meeting. But sensing her struggle to find the right words, he decided to break the silence.

"Um, can I talk to you?" He glanced at Aditya and added, "In private?" This time, it was Aditya's turn to feel the nerve at the back of his neck twitch.

He exchanged a glance with Naina, who offered him a reassuring smile before walking off with Shubman.

After they had walked a fair distance, Shubman finally broke the silence, offering an apology, "I'm sorry."