Chapter 4: Feelings

‘Feelings are not supposed to be logical.'

-David Borenstein

Chapter 4: Feelings

---- A Week Later ----

[Morning]

                Raven woke up coughing and in a hot sweat. She wiped away beads of sweat that tumbled down the sides of her cheeks. Her throat was hoarse and dry. She reached for a glass that was sitting on her nightstand, but it was empty. When she laid the cup back down, the thudding sound boomed in her ears, her head pulsing, as if someone was ringing a church bell right next to her. Her body ached as if covered in cuts and bruises, striking pain throughout her body with the slightest movement. She moaned in anguish quietly. She dragged her heavy body out of bed and stepped forward, suddenly she felt woozy and her vision blurred in and out of focus. She lost balance as she took another step and tried to grab onto the nightstand to keep her standing but her grip slipped on the edge and the table tumbled down with her as the lamp, which was on top of the table, crashed to the floor. She lay there having trouble breathing, like she was breathing through a straw. She looked to the door and tried to push herself up but it proved to be very difficult as her weight felt three times the amount.

                She heard running footsteps come her towards her front door. Light shined throughout her room and her eyes stung at the sudden sight of light.

                “Raven!” Beast Boy yelled out in a panic. “What’s wrong, are you OK?”

                He helped her up and took her back to bed.

                "What happened?" He looked like a frantic mouse, not knowing what to do next, and noticed the sheen of sweat on her skin. He tucked her in and pressed the backside of his hand against her forehead.

                “You’re burning up! I'll be back.” Beast Boy dashed out the door.

                Raven watched the door slide shut and turned her head towards the ceiling. She closed her eyes and sighed.

                Beast Boy has been taking care of her as she her health slowly deteriorated every passing day. She had thought about telling the team what she had found, but thought that it would be better to bring stronger evidence to the table and tried to search for the toxic herb Aysel was using. She had from that point become weary of Aysel. She could see that Aysel knew about what she had found but continued on with her charade, giving Raven cold shivers down her spine, remembering this almost too similar betrayal done by another.

                “Hey Beast Boy, let’s play ‘Monkey Racer’.” Aysel held up a game controller in one hand while holding her own in her lap, sitting on the couch.

                “Can’t.” Beast Boy rapidly took out a bowl and a rag. He turned the faucet on, letting it fill the bowl with cold water. As the water poured into the bowl, Beast Boy rushed to the freezer and grabbed the ice tray and dumped all of the ice into the bowl, instantly pushing the water level up.

                “Maybe later.” He said in a huff as he grabbed the rag and turned the faucet water off and carefully carried the bowl of ice water to Raven’s room.

                Aysel watched as the series of events seem to happen all at once. She continued to stare at the hallway entrance Beast Boy disappeared into and cracked a small smile before turning around and play 'Monkey Racer'.