Chapter 2: Enemies

‘Keep you friends close and your enemies closer’

-Sun Tzu

Chapter 2: Enemies

Beast Boy scratched his head in confusion.

"I thought there weren't any survivors."

"Yeah, really." Cyborg agreed.

The girl saw how confused they were and quickly intervened.

"Well, my father," Looking to Raven. "shipped me away in a pod before Azarath fell."

Her lips thinned as a recurrent memory came back.

"I thought that I was all alone, but when I heard that another survived I went looking for her. And now I have." Forcing a smile and looking to Raven again, who continued to be suspicious.

Beast Boy saw the growing tension as the silence grew longer.

"Ha, um, so what's your name?" He asked, hoping to break the stiff atmosphere.

"My name's M-Aysel." She quickly hoped to cover up her mistake and stuck out her hand, showing the team a friendly gesture. Beast Boy smiled and shook her hand.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Beast Boy!" His voice full of enthusiasm.

Robin came forward, interrupting their moment.

“How did you hear about Raven then?”  Arms crossed in distrust. Beast Boy let go of Aysel and took a step back, giving the two some room.

Aysel looked to Robin and noticed his skepticism and put on a strong front.

“I happened upon a church while travelling from here to there and met three children. They talked about Raven. I think their names were Melvin, Timmy and Tether?"

"Teether." Raven corrected.

"Oh right Teether. I stayed at the church for a while and came here to Jump City." Meeting eye contact with Robin who continued to stay silent. Aysel became agitated.

"I would appreciate it you didn't stare at me like an exhibit." She shot at him, her voice rigid.

"I can't help but say I don't trust you." Robin responded. That upset Aysel.

"But you don't even know me." Her brows furrowed with frustration.

"That makes it reason enough." He shot back. The rest of the team members were on edge as the uncomfortable situation continued. Starfire laid a gentle hand on Robin's shoulder.

"Robin." She called out softly. Robin silently acknowledged her but did not move.

"I didn't know the Teen Titans were so judgmental." She cocked her head slightly, her lips pursed.

"I'm sorry but we have our reasons." Robin stated. Cyborg and Beast Boy looked to each other, confused, then looked to Robin. Another awkward silence drifted in, as Robin and Aysel had another stare down. Aysel sighed in deeply throwing her hands in the air.

"Well, I'm not going to fight with you. I only came to see if we could get along, but I see you're not ready for that." Aysel looked around to see a crumpled up piece of paper blow her way. She grabbed it and with her powers she engraved her number onto it. She walked over to Robin and handed it to him.

"If you need help with anything, just call me. I don't know why you are suddenly defensive but I had hoped that we could get along and that I could find a place for me. " She gave him a friendly smile, walked away and flew to the air.