Chapter 16

November 1st, 1963

Nova Starlit —

"How was Wilbur today?" I asked after hearing the front door slam shut. "He's fine. Why? Is it some sort of event?" Glam called out–entering the kitchen now. I prepared a small dish of appetizers as I rolled my shoulders. "I dunno, it's Edith's birthday and typically this is when he loses himself," I spoke as Glam chuckled and sat across from me. Watching me roll tiny dough balls. "You're not wrong, he was pretty upset at Forbidden today. Like everything was on his nerves you know?" Glam spoke, twirling their finger in the air. "Well. That's already an interesting day then." I spoke, grinning and glancing back up to Glam. Glam looked away, seemingly uninterested as I scoffed. "Look at me go, already talking about Wilbur, how was your day?" I asked, watching Glam's head turn as a crooked smile approached. "Well, if I do say so, it was fine. That customer I told you about–the one screaming about eggrolls? Turns out she's a traveling wrestler." Glam muttered as that took me by surprise. "Really? I didn't even realize!" I spoke–actually shocked. Maybe because I've never seen this lady. She's gotta be buff! "Would you like a drink?" I called out. Glam rolled their hand as they thought for a while. "A bottle maybe, do you want to share?" They asked, having talked about the wine bottle we had planned on opening but Drew freaked out whenever he spotted it. I smiled as I turned around to grab the bottle. My hands slightly slipped when I did grab it but I couldn't help but remember the faces Wilbur was making last month. His eyes nervously glanced at the bottle in my hand when I was trying to treat him. Was that rather stupid to show an attempting recovery addict the addiction? "Glam, do you wanna take a sip first for me?" I called out and turned myself back to face them. They nodded reluctantly, getting up to grab the two wine glasses. I focused back on the original meal. My handwork became sloppy as the thoughts trailed. God. He's trying to be a better person and I just showed his problem to his face. What if there's another reason? What if he was nervous cause something bad was in the drink? Glam nudged my shoulder, knocking me out of the trance as I glanced at the red wine sitting in the glass. "Bottoms up, huh?" They said, taking a long pause and then a small sip. I joined moments later as I smiled weakly. "Bottoms up, hun." I joked. Glam gasped and chuckled. "God that was bad."

Wilbur Beloved —

Drew was out with Forbidden but I felt agitated. I was smoking at least 2 cigarettes at the same time and it was not healthy. I coughed into my fist, my nose running as the idea of even getting sick seemed pathetic. It's her birthday. I wonder if anybody is taking care of her grave. I shivered slightly before turning the paperwork over. The idea of staring at small numbers on a piece of paper gave me a headache. Maybe it's time to head home then. I got up, packed Drew's stuff, and then soon mine. I left my office and alerted Forbidden–watching him trail Drew back around. "Thanks, Forbidden–" I began before seeing Forbidden signal to his nose as I didn't realize my nose was running slightly. "Sorry–I'll give you a slight raise," I said, smiling before grabbing Drew's hand. "Bye Bye Forb!" Drew cried out as Forbidden waved. But before we left, that darn customer approached. "You should try adding more exclusive meals to the menu." She suggested. From what Glam told me–this young woman's name was Ava and she was considered to be extremely strong. Due to the fact, that she's our leading cause of a broken table over these egg rolls. "Why? It's an American Diner." I spoke before watching her eyes squint at the nametag stuck to my chest still. I held Drew close as I decided to just keep moving forward. "Don't you dare walk away from me, Wilbur!" She screamed as I shut the door in fact behind me. "Who was that Daddy?" Drew asked. I rubbed my nose as I dug through my pockets to try to find an already escaped cig. "Crazy customers Drew. That's who."

Making it back home was already risky, my head felt like it was boiling, and wearing the suit made it feel worse. What made me want to end it all was seeing Nova and Glam's car just outside. I exited the car, helping Drew out before I coughed into my elbow. Drew ran inside before screaming out the two's names. Oh great. Before I entered my own house–I paused. Their conversation still rang clearly. "So you think Wilbur might have some sort of maniac personality?" Nova called out as I could assume Glam nodded. "Isn't it obvious? He's two-faced!" They hissed. I opened the door feeling rather disgusted with being talked about behind my back. "Ah!—The man of the hour!" Glam spoke again, launching up from their chair and wrapping their arm around my shoulder. "What's going on?" I asked out as I glanced at Nova. She smiled wholeheartedly as Glam started. "Well—we decided to think about it but we're getting married!" Glam announced as I felt rather peeved. Announcing this inside my house? I forced a smile to show my regard for the subject as I pushed Glam's arm off my shoulder. "Wow! Young love!" I said as Glam chuckled. "Maybe you could also find another love-" They began before pausing. I glared at Glam now before Nova got up herself and tugged Glam away. "Sorry!—They're just so excited and can't help but ask you to know!" Nova spoke, trying to save Glam's mistake. I paused briefly as I tilted my head. "You guys assume I'm seeing somebody?" I said, feeling softly conflicted with the thought. Conflicted for what? Maddie had moved on easily but I'm stuck cause who else would enjoy a man like me? "Uhaa...no. I don't but Glam assumes so because you always enter with such an attitude." Nova commented. I probably have an attitude cause I drive home at 3 am each night from Maddie's with the worst hangover to get Drew to school. "Wow—really," I spoke trying to join with the tone. Nova glanced to the side now while the topic of love collapsed. "Well. Congratulations on the engagement, but I feel like there's a real reason you're here." I said as Glam slammed directly into the conversation. "Oh! We're being told that Maddie had actually changed her will and announced you unsuitable for Drew." My eyes shrunk upon hearing those words. "Oh. Oh ho–No you're joking! This is a small prank, right? Cause there's no way they're just NOW finding something in her will." I spoke, feeling threatened at losing the only lifeline of someone close to me. Someone close to me. "Wilbur I understand that but–" Nova began but I shook my head. "No. She's been dead forever which means her will doesn't make logical sense anymore." I spoke out as I trailed myself toward my living room. Maybe if I run off from the conversation it can't haunt me. "Wilbur!--" Nova began again before I turned around roughly. "What?! Do you want to remove the only lasting remains of Maddie from my life? I thought you hated Drew? The poor kid!" I spoke, working on a last protocol–manipulation. Manipulating the emotions for a sort of empathy to leak out. "Wilbur no please–listen it's–" Nova began before Glam approached in. "No, we're only doing it cause of the fact it was in her will!" They spat as I chuckled. "Well. That's ironic! But do I care what a dead woman has a wish for me?" I said as the two fell silent. "Now, if you excuse me–I was going to take Drew out for a small dinner since I personally don't want to last around this house," I spoke as I hushed the two out of the room. They took their leave and finally left me alone. It was pestering in a sort but I understood the reason. Thinking I have a new secret partner is rather extreme. Nobody would like a lunatic.