Chapter 9

December 14th, 1961

Wilbur Beloved —

Maddie appeared for once on my doorstep, frowning slightly as I was wearing just house clothes. "Oh, is it already time?" I asked, smiling at Drew as he slightly hugged the side of his mother. "Yes. Of course. I think it's obvious. Just return him back next week–okay?" She commanded as I nodded and took the bag that was slung around her shoulder. Primarily holding stuff that was for Drew, and helping him inside. He was timid at first, maybe due to the fact the last time this kid had seen me was in the office signing divorce papers. "What do you wanna eat bud? I was just making breakfast you know." I said, trying to gain a conversation with him. "Pancakes...not burned..." He replied, putting his fingers in his mouth as I smiled. "Well, it's your lucky day cause your father knows how to make the perfect mix," I said as he smiled softly too, slowly cracking away any imperfections the kid's heard about me.

We were mixing the pancake batter together as I actually felt myself relax, after so long. Drew giggled for a bit before trying to take a snack out of the raw pancake batter. "Ah! No–that's not edible!" I said, bumping his nose away as he whined. "I am hungry!" He cried as I shook my hand. "You'll eat in a few, ok?" I repeated as Drew frowned and went off of the stepping stool to wait at the dining table. It felt somewhat relaxing, the looming fear of everything crashing down wasn't as prominent. Or well, when I poured the pancake batter my mind slipped. And it typically is the worst thing I could do. "Edith–just wait for a bit ok?" I called out, before freezing as Drew made an audible sound. "Who? Daddy that's not my name!" He giggled a bit as I turned and smiled weakly. "Ah–simple mistakes!---" I muttered, trying to hide the sudden paranoia I ached. I keep being haunted by her that I can still see her... I dragged the pan over to the table as I flipped the small meal onto Drew's dish. The sight of the pancake slipping off the spatula and seeing Drew's smiling face brought me back only a couple of years. Seeing Edith's same toothy grin implant onto his mouth. The way his hair bounces with every giggle. The only difference was that he had the same little animal parts as I did. I was his role model to follow. He ate slowly, nit-picking every detail as I dished out bacon. Followed by some butter spread toast. The most amount of food this house's seen since. He was enjoying his breakfast as I sat across, picking at my face grabbed my pack of cigarettes, and took one in my mouth. A horrible coping mechanism I've grabbed by Red. "Is that breaky?" Drew asked, his mouth full as I placed it on my lips. "Uh–sure. You can say that Ed–Drew." I corrected myself as Drew only glanced for a while. A small judgemental stare–something definitely picked up by his mom. He shrugged as it made me feel awkward, placing the cigarette back. I shoved the box to the side while Drew kept on eating. The more my eyes bore into the kid, the more I felt responsible. Maybe he wouldn't have to learn about the difference between his parents if his father only moved on.

Maybe if Maddie didn't lose Edith he would've had an older sister.

I found my fingers picking at my skin as Drew finished and insisted on cleaning himself up. I woke up from my stance as I took the plate from his tiny hands. "No! I wanna clean!" He cried as I rolled my eyes, forcing a smile. "Alright–want me to lift you?" I asked as Drew nodded. Standing on his stepping stool. I lifted him slightly up, so he could move his arms around and wash the plate he just ate off of. She did good...and what am I even doing? The day went on normally, I finally felt the urge to move out of the house, not in a frenzy of depression, but in a frenzy of trying to hide the horrible truth from me. I took him out to the beach, for a walk, and played even volleyball–despite the lack of exercise that leaked out of me. Drew found it fun, and that's all I could do. To cloud the horrible thoughts of everything. The guilt and pain–nothing to be shown to an innocent soul.

I drove the two of us to the Diner as Drew was mostly excited. Seeing where his dad worked? What kid wouldn't? He basically flew out of the car as I walked up spotting Red watching in awe from the window. I opened the door for Drew as the kid went crazy. Smiling from corner to corner–Red only frowned and crossed his arms. "Someone finally came in, huh?" Red said upset as I smiled softly, feeling Drew hug my leg. "Can I not?" I asked as Red rolled his eyes. "You're only in here to impress Drew, isn't it?" He responded rather salty as I shrugged watching Red only grow upset. "Drew–can I talk to your dad? You can wait in his office." Red said, talking through a smile as Drew nodded. Trailing after Red's directions and turning right to be led into my office. Red appeared back momentarily before grabbing me around the shoulders and leading me out back. He looked upset, mostly swinging the door open with the force of his foot. He swung me around the back and stared at me, mostly standing a reasonable distance. "Ok, seriously. You think you can just waltz right back in, not like me and Glam held up your ends?" He spoke in an upset tone as I frowned. "I understand my disappearance but–"