Chapter 22

I heard a panting and extended my senses. I jumped upright. Jasper teased me saying that it must be Jayden. I snarled at the direction of the entrance. I stormed off to catch him. Jasper followed me as the did the others. I turned into the hybrid and became invisible. This shocked Jasper as he had no idea I can do that. So did the others. They realized that I was serious. Jasper and the others turned into wolves and followed my scent. I found Jayden before Jasper. I grabbed him and bit him. I saw that he was hiding from Soren. I grabbed him and flew to Soren.

I found the nocturnals not far from the mountain. Victor was the first to greet me. The others cheered as they saw me. They were even more pleased to see that I had the trouble magnet in custody. I handed Jayden to Igor and gave my locket to Soren. He was apprehensive but he took a few drops of blood into his mouth. He ordered the council to take it too. They all saw how Jayden was the one responsible for what happened between Jasper and me. So Jasper was given a royal pardon. I was allowed to stay with Jasper till it was my turn to reign unless Jasper ends up dead. Should that happen then I must return to Castle Keep even it means Jasper would turn in his grave. I thanked the council and remembered where I was so I gave them a heads up. I warned them to stay away from the native tribes since they made it clear that they wanted to bleed us. The nocturnals promised to stay hidden from them as they go back to Washington DC. I flew back to Jasper but I saw that they were hiding behind a bunch of tree not far from where Soren and the others were.

I remembered how angry Jasper can get when it comes to the nocturnals so I peeked into the clearing to see that all of them were busy with something else. I wanted to go in but I wasn't feeling brave. I looked inside again. They were busy so I took one step and wondered what Jasper would say since he was so against Soren and the others. I stepped out and hid. I looked inside this time all of them were staring at my direction. They seemed amused at my apprehension. I mumbled what Jasper would do if he knows what I had done. Jasper called out to me, "Why don't you ask him and find out." The others laughed too. I blushed and gulped down my fear before I stepped in. Jasper was happier than I had ever seen him before. I kept fidgeting as I walked towards him. I held on to the locket tightly. Jasper helped me put the necklace back on. He smiled at me brightly. Jasper said that he was listening to the conversation that I had with Soren. I managed to find a way to stay with him away from the nocturnals from the next hundred plus years. Now he has no fear of anyone trying to snatch me away. I made it clear that they will track me only if they believe that I possess the solution to whatever problem that they are trapped in. Jasper retorted that since Soren is king he should prove his worth by solving problems with his own intellect. The others concurred. They had seen from Jasper's memories how I had been as a ruler. They seemed to think that this is me taking a lengthy vacation.

They said that they were traveling to their home up north. They were invaded by Strigois and they have rob them of their homes. So they were hoping that I can help. I show them that I had the ability to blow their heads off. They were so pleased that they decided to go back home to fight those things. They called out to other Artic wolves and soon we were joined by more of their kind.

We arrived at Piercing a town whose residents are Artic wolves. The Strigoi were roaming freely and I managed to scream till all of them blew up. Only one survived he promised me that I will pay for it. But he only made one step before he was killed. The rest of the Strigoi were easy to find. They resided in the caverns deep in the mountains. I had to move them out of the mountain range to use the high C note to kill them. The biggest problem was the city nearby had officials who were loyal to these things. A little hypnosis and they switched sides. The wolves colonized the town again and I had to help them clear the other towns the wolves used to call home. Till there were none of them left.

Jasper and I got us a house too. I turned half of the backyard into a greenhouse so I can grow certain things. The other side had a bench and barbecue area. I realized that the town was divided into two groups. The Artic wolves work as lumberjacks. The only reason they were not allowed was because these guys don't age. Since the humans grow old but the others stay young this invokes trouble. So they had devised a plan to make sure no suspects a thing. The wolves would take turns going out to the public areas. When their turn was up they would remain elsewhere to avoid suspicion. The humans were not employed to work as lumberjacks. They worked the other jobs in town or the quarry.

There were a few that drooled when Jasper walked past them but he never looked at them once. He only kept an eye on me. This infuriated them greatly. I would happily sit on his shoulders as he walked along the street. The others would smile as they see his bright face. He would let me down when he felt that it was enough. I wanted to complain but knew it wouldn't help so I played along.

I was getting bored of the place so I ran to the Citadel. I saw that the place was occupied by a man and his three friends. They were criminals that had escaped prison. They were looking for hideout. Somehow they stumbled here. I decided that they should not be allowed here. So I became invisible and started to move the portraits. This creeped out the youngest. Then I started to move the furniture. I even picked up an armchair with one of them in it. He screamed in fear. I was so happy to hear it. Then I rummaged the place till I found a flamethrower. I gripped it to see it become invisible too. I chased the next ones shooting flames at them. He ran to the others and they explained their horror. I ran at top speed and opened and closed every door that they can see. I managed to scare them off the property. I made sure that they deemed the area as haunted. I made that they are so frightened that they won't be able to speak about the place. I decided that I missed Jasper so I ran back to him.

I saw that the houses of the wolves were in cinders. I had to find Jasper. I found him and the rest by a cliff. Jasper was prostrating. The other wolves had their heads lowered in shame. I poked Jasper but he wouldn't budge. So I shook him but he refused to raise his head. I tried to pick him up but he pushed me away. So finally as a last resort I banged on his head like it was a drum. The reaction was lethal. The wolves snarled to attack and Jasper grabbed my arm to snap it in two. He gave me the look of death. When he saw it was me he froze. He stared at me and he hugged me as though he wanted to hide me from the world. The wolves cheered in joy. Then Jasper ruined the moment. He had decided that I was his imagination. So I extended my claws and sank them as deep into his arms as I could. He winced in pain as I raked my claws. I asked him if I was his imagination. He saw the blood dripping down his arms and happily declared that I was real. I punched him for doubting. I asked him to heal his arm and come back. He delightful turned into a wolf. The others turned too. They ran towards the woods. I decided to stay here till they came back. I saw that one line wolf remained. It was Jasper.

He didn't run so I decided to go for a jog. He tailed me and slowly. Soon his injuries were healed. I made sure to run at human speed so he can keep up. Had I ran at hybrid speed he would go back to thinking he imagined me. I joined the wolves and ran till they felt it was enough. So finally I let Jasper in my head. That moment he relaxed completely. He turned human and he hugged me. He inhaled my scent deeply as he appreciated this moment.