Dilan's story (Part III)...

Beginne am Anfang

You were so tiny and beautiful. I came close to the two of you and held your hand. Your fingers wrapped around my finger, and in that instant, I became your father." Baran was listening to the man's story. It was all starting to make sense to him. However, his main concern was how Dilan received all this new information. Tears started falling down her face. Baran could not stand that. He wanted to stop them, but he knew he couldn't. Dilan whispered. "My father? If that is the case, why did you leave me?" Mr. Hikmet looked ashamed. "Ms. Dilan, your mother was with us until you were one year old..." Drying her tears, Dilan asked. "How did she die?" The man moved in the chair. Baran knew what he was about to say would not be pleasant to hear. He tightened his hold on Dilan and began rubbing her arm. "Dilan, your mom had some complications after giving birth. You were delivered in the house, and some things needed to be done that didn't. By the time we realized something was wrong, she needed to be surgically intervened, but I didn't have the means... I mastered the courage and went to your grandfather to ask for help. But he didn't believe me. He thought I was after money and sent me away. I did the best I could, taking care of you, working and tending to your mom at the hospital..." Baran saw the shame and impotence on the man's face. "I'm sorry, Dilan." Tears fell from his eyes. "I'm sorry that it wasn't enough." As more tears fell from her eyes, Baran kissed her hair and kept caressing her. It was the only thing he could do to try to console her.

After calming somewhat, Dilan asked. "Were you the one that brought me with the Demirs?" The man affirmed with his head. "I took you with them when you were four years old. I did my best to keep you with me. But I failed Dilan." Dilan became quiet. Baran guest, she was trying to process everything she just heard. "How did you meet, Mr. Seyit?" Clearing his tears, the man answered him. "We worked at the same restaurant. We became friends from there. I knew him to be a good husband and father... I was surprised when I heard what he had done to your family. After hearing about the blood feud, I came to him with a deal. I would take the blame for what happened, and in exchange, he would raise Dilan as his own. He would give her the family I could never provide for her." Baran was aware of Mr. Hikmet's constant side glances at his father. He was picking his words carefully. He was not telling the whole story, which confirmed Baran's suspicions. He and his dad were hiding things from him. "The rest of the story, you already know." Baran tiltle his head. That statement was far from being true. But for the time being, he would play along for Dilan. "Why were you following us?" Mr. Hikmet's eyes went to Dilan. "I began following you soon after I was released. My thoughts were always with Dilan. She was entrusted to me by her mother. I needed to make sure she was okay. First, I found Seyit, and he told me she had married you..." The man's expression turned to anger. With his arms on his knees, he covered his fist with the other hand. "I could not believe he did that. I wanted to kill him right there." 'Good,' Baran thought.

"He didn't want to tell me where you lived, but it wasn't hard to find. You learn things while in jail... My plan was to take her from you..." Baran didn't like what he heard. No one could take Dilan from him. "As I was exploring my alternatives, I watched you two closer... Even a blind man could tell you were in love with each other. So my objective changed..." His father moved in his chair. Baran was observing him through the corner of his eyes. "My goal now is to protect you both." Baran needed to acknowledge that the man was good. He never once saw him or suspected he was around. On the contrary, Baran believed he was hiding from his family. Right until he saw him arguing with Mr. Seyit. But if he had followed them for that long... "Did you hire someone to do sruvailence for you?" The man denied it with his head. "I don't have the money. I did it all by myself." Baran thought about it. "Did you see anyone suspicious around us while observing us?" Mr. Hikmet paused before answering. "I guess you are referring to the detective." Baran nodded. He waited for the man to continue, but he didn't. "So, do you know who he was working for?" Mr. Hikmet looked at Dilan. She was playing with her bracelet. "Your mother had that made for you, you know. Just before she died, she wanted to leave you something to remember her by." Dilan's eyes went to the man. "But she never gave it to me, did she?" Her eyes were once again filled with tears. "No, it wasn't finished on time."