The Talk (Not That One)

Start from the beginning

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you here, Wren?"

I broke her gaze.

The captain's quarters managed to become even more cramped and stuffy.

"Because I'm scared," I replied, moving the Dr Pepper to my scabbed lip and shielding my face.

Clarisse didn't push for a more specific answer, understanding the expected cost.

After that, the silence returned once again, this time it crawled under my fingernails and tied knots in my back.

It felt like hours, but couldn't have been there for more than minutes before we heard approaching footsteps, causing Clarisse to clear her throat and sit up into a more imposing posture. I breathed a sigh of relief and slouched back into my chair.

The door opened and Percy, Tyson, and Annabeth made an appearance.

"You are in so much trouble," Clarisse greeted them smugly.

Once the trio sat down, dead soldiers arrived to serve peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, potato chips, and more Dr Pepper.

"Tantalus expelled you for eternity," Clarisse continued, "Mr. D said if any of you show your face at camp again, he'll turn you into squirrels and run you over with his SUV."

"Did they give you this ship?" Percy asked.

"'Course not," Clarisse scoffed. "My father did."

"Ares?" Percy raised a brow.

Clarisse sneered.

"You think your daddy is the only one with sea power? The spirits on the losing side of every war owe a tribute to Ares." She waved a hand at the soldiers. "That's their curse for being defeated. I prayed to my father for a naval transport and here it is. These guys will do anything I tell them. Won't you, Captain?

"If it means an end to this infernal war, ma'am, peace at last, we'll do anything," The ghost wearing a more intricately decorated uniform responded. His gaze shifted to Percy. "Destroy anyone."

"Destroy anyone Clarisse grinned. "I like that."

I could hear Tyson gulp from across the table.

"Clarisse," Annabeth spoke up, "Luke might be after the Fleece, too. He's-

I moved the can from my lip and straightened in my seat.

"Luke? You've seen him? Is he-"

I remembered Percy next to her and my voice died in my throat.

"Uhhm... you think he's after the fleece?

"Yes," Annabeth continued. "He's got the coordinates and he's heading south. He's got a cruise ship full of monsters-"

"Good!" Clarisse cut in. "I'll blow him out of the water!

Annabeth glared at Clarisse and me, growing visibly agitated that we kept interrupting her.

I tried to give her an apologetic smile, but instead, it turned into a wince.

'Luke has the coordinates?' I thought. 'How? I thought Percy and Annabeth got them from the Grey Sisters. Did Luke take their cab too or something?'

"You don't understand," Annabeth shook her head. "We have to combine forces. Let us help you-"

"No!" Clarisse pounded her fist on the table, causing an empty Dr Pepper can to fall over. "This is my quest, smart girl! Finally I get to be the hero, and you two will not steal my chance."

"Clarisse-" I started.

"Where are your cabinmates?" Percy suddenly asked. "You were allowed to take two friends with you, weren't you? Why's only Wren here?

"They didn't... I let them stay behind. To protect the camp."

"távros skatá..." I muttered.

"You mean even the people in your own cabin wouldn't help you?" Percy accused.

"Shut up, Prissy!" Clarisse snapped. "I don't need them! Or you!"

I stood up. "Yes. You. Do! If you're not gonna let me help you, at least let them!" I waved a can at the trio.

"Clarisse, Tantalus is using you. He doesn't care about the camp. He'd love to see it destroyed. He's setting you up to fail."

"No! I don't care what the Oracle—"

"What?" Percy asked.

"Ha!" I shoved a can in her face. "You mentioned the Oracle before, too! Back at camp!"

"What did the Oracle tell you?" Percy asked.

"Nothing." Clarisse's ears turned pink. "All you need to know is that I'm finishing this quest and none of you are helping."

"Good luck getting rid of me, then." I snarled, falling back into my seat.

Clarisse put a hand on her chin, muttering more to herself than us. "On the other hand, I can't let you three go..."

"So we're prisoners?" Annabeth asked.

"Guests. For now." Clarisse propped her boots up on the table. "Captain, take them below. Assign them hammocks on the berth deck. If they don't mind their manners, show them how we deal with enemy spies."

The word spies struck a sudden chord in me. My chest tightened and I stood to leave with the others.

"Not you," Clarisse kicked the leg of my chair.

'Oh,' I thought, the tension leaving my shoulders. 'She wasn't even talking about me. Idiot.'

The others disappeared through the door, leaving Clarisse and me alone again.

"You got your dinner and all we had was the cans. Time to go." Clarisse waved her arms in a 'shoo' motion.

"Only if you let Percy and Annabeth help you." I placed the cans on the table and crossed my arms.

"No, you're leaving, and they're staying below deck and out my way until we get back to camp."

"Clarisse," I met her eyes, "I came all this way specifically so that you wouldn't be alone on this quest. And I'm perfectly alright with you refusing me if you think I'll just get in your way, but you're refusing two perfectly good, experienced questers'. You know what that tells me?

"I don't care that that-"

"That tells me that there's something else going on here, Clarisse. And I'm not going to let you-" get yourself killed "- throw this quest away for nothing."

"Well you don't have a choice," She growled.

Clarisse grabbed my upper arm and began dragging me down the halls. I struggled to plant my feet on the floor until managing to get a grip on a door frame and wriggle out of her grasp. But before I could make a run for it, she just bear hugged me and continued on her way. I struggled, flopping around in her arms until I realized that there was no way I was getting out of her grip and giving up; going limp with a dramatic huff.

Clarisse carried me up to the top deck and then down the plank one of the soldiers must have set up.

The moment the rubber of my sneakers touched the soil, I took a deep breath. Clarisse's hands loosened around my waist and in the blink of an eye, I'd ducked under her arm and was back on the top deck before either of us knew what had happened.

I couldn't hold back my smirk as Clarisse turned around. For once, I genuinely felt I had the advantage. Clarisse was not going to leave me behind this time. I wasn't going to let her.