13

ACT 3:

1924

The morning of Tommy's wedding was filled with happiness, a palpable feeling that clouded the air. Except for Amelia, who was dressed in her finest clothes, her best jewelry and hair, but she couldn't hide her distress. She had done her best to be supportive of her brother, even though she didn't trust the woman he was marrying.

"Amelia, pretend you're happy for your brother," Polly whispered to her niece, making her discreetly roll her eyes.

"Yeah, yeah. I am very happy for him." She tried to put on a fake smile, but it was clear that she was just going through the motions and wasn't really that happy.

Amelia saw Grace enter with a purple dress and a dark purple veil that hid her face, and her smile dropped once again.

"Here comes the fucking cavalry, late as usual." John said. As a person from Grace's side of the family looked at him angrily, he just made a funny face that made Amelia chuckle despite her initial discomfort with the wedding.

"Dearly beloved. We are gathered here today to join together in holy matrimony Thomas Michael Shelby and Grace Helen Burgess." Jeremiah said as Grace reached the altar and Thomas removed the veil from her face, almost smiling. "Do you, Thomas Michael Shelby, take Grace Helen Burgess to be your lawful wedded wife?"

"I do." Tommy nodded.

"Do you, Grace Helen Burgess, solemnly swear to love, honour, and obey till death do you part?"

"I do." Grace smiled at Tommy.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife." Grace and Thomas kissed after Jeremiah's words, and the church was filled with shouts from Thomas' family, while the bride's family applauded politely.

They gathered for a family photo, and the girls from Grace's side of the family were fighting over the bouquet of flowers. One of them tried to get it, but Arthur kicked her away, not wanting her to ruin the photo or steal the spotlight and Amelia chuckled slightly at that.

She stood in between John and Finn, with a wide grin on her face as she posed for the photo. The flash went off, and she couldn't help but smile even bigger as she felt it hitting her eyes.

Once the flash went away, everyone dispersed, and Grace and Thomas climbed into the carriage that would take them to their home. Amelia walked alongside John and Esme, her brother placing his arm around her shoulders.

"Ah, come on, Lia, don't look so sad. 'E's your brother, after all." John said with a grin.

"Yeah, I know. But I just don't like her, ya know? Can't even look me in the eye." She scoffed, shaking her head before resting it on her brother's shoulder.

"Ah, I agree with ya. She's a bloody witch, is what she is. But, he's your brother, ya can't go around despising the bride. Gotta fake it a little bit." John spoke, the grin still on his lips.

"Yeah, alright." She reluctantly sighed and forced a smile on her face. "I mean, he is my brother, you're right. And I do love little Charlie. I'll be polite, for his sake. I just can't stand the sight of her." John nodded at her words, ruffling her hair.

"Have to fake it." They arrived at Tommy's house, and the two families gathered in the hallway. "Ah, here we are. Well, we better go in and play nice. No use makin' a scene now."

"I'll try to behave, just don't expect me to kiss ass or somethin' like that." Amelia said with a small smile.

"That's all I'm askin'. Now come on, we're lettin' ya get drunk today." John's comment made Amelia smile.