01

ACT 1:

1919

Amelia was sleeping peacefully when Polly shook her, causing her to open her eyes with a grunt.

"Pol! I'm tired!" She whined trying to cover her face with the blankets, but her aunt was faster, pulling the blankets off the bed and letting them fall to the floor.

"Up you get, Amelia. Now." She pointed her finger at her niece before leaving the room, making the girl sigh.

Amelia dressed slowly, yawns escaping her mouth every now and then. Once she was ready, she walked to Ada's room, knocking on the door before entering.

"You here?" She asked, analyzing the inside of the room. Ada appeared behind her, and Amelia had to bring her hands to her mouth to keep from screaming. Ada laughed as she entered her room.

"I didn't mean to scare ya." She apologized, motioning toward her mattress for Amelia to sit on. "You want me to do your hair, right?"

"Right. I'm shit at combing my hair, you already know that." She said with a smile as she sat down next to her sister on the bed.

"Everyone knows it." Ada teased, grabbing a brush and beginning to comb her sister's hair. "Braids?"

"I'm not seven." She frowned, shaking her head. "I want my hair down, but get rid of the knots."

"Alright, big girl." Ada joked, rolling her eyes. She ran the brush through Amelia's hair, while the youngest frowned in pain.

"Fucking careful!" She complained as she pinched Ada's leg, who smacked her on the head with the brush.

"If you don't know how to do it on your own, let me do it my way." Ada said as Amelia whined again.

The youngest remained silent, muttering some curses from time to time. When Ada finished untangling her hair, Amelia left her room without saying anything but with a frown. She walked down the halls of the house massaging her scalp, and she sat on the couch next to Finn.

"Why the hell are you smoking?" She asked as she saw her younger brother trying to hide a cigarette.

"I'm not!" Finn responded, but Amelia soon could smell burning clothing.

Amelia started laughing as she watched her brother shake his shirt with a frightened face, throwing the cigarette into the fireplace when he saw Thomas enter.

"Finn?" Thomas asked.

"Arthur's mad as hell." Finn said trying to get his brother to come out, but Thomas reached down and grabbed the butt of the cigarette while Amelia couldn't stop her laughter.

Tommy sighed, showing the cigarette butt to his brother and tossing it into the fireplace, letting it burn with the fire.

"What does a ten-year-old know about hell, eh?" He asked, tapping his little brother's cheek with his hat.

"I'm eleven Sunday." Finn said as an excuse, making his sister's laughter increase.

"Morning, Amelia." Tommy greeted as he saw his laughing sister, who waved at him.

"Mornin', Tom." Amelia said once she was able to calm her laughter, getting up from the couch to walk next to him with her breathing heavy.

Thomas opened the door and they walked into the betting shop together, seeing the chaos there. Amelia walked over to Charlie, who smiled when he saw her.

"Morning, Lia." He greeted, spreading his smile to the youngest.

"Hello, Charlie." The man patted her shoulder before she approached John, who was excitedly talking to Tommy with a book in his hands.