Double Dead Magic

Sometimes when I set out to write something, the story goes in a different direction. I'd like to give my thanks to everyone who read, commented, and voted on Dragon Town. It was a story I really wanted to tell, and I never wanted to disappoint.

There's a larger story behind why I abandoned this project, but it has a happy ending!

Somewhere between Feeding Frenzy: Curse of the Necromancer (my Watty-winning first novel) and the sequel, I lost my mother, I lost my mother-in-law, and I had to switch editors

Somewhere between Feeding Frenzy: Curse of the Necromancer (my Watty-winning first novel) and the sequel, I lost my mother, I lost my mother-in-law, and I had to switch editors... It really sent me for a loop.

But in all that time, I wrote and rewrote the story. I also wrote a couple of kids' books in memory of my mother who was an artist. The first one is called Marina Royale. (The external link on this chapter will take you to all my books) Saltwater Spy School is a series about a tiny hermit crab named Hubert who wants to be a spy. The first two books are published, and Gold Stinger is coming soon.

When people warn you that writing your second book is harder than the first, they are not exaggerating

When people warn you that writing your second book is harder than the first, they are not exaggerating. Writing the sequel to Feeding Frenzy is the toughest piece of writing I've ever attempted. Mostly due to events out of my control.

The good news is that Dragon Town is dead. Long live Double Dead Magic!

If you read Dragon Town, you may find the story changes interesting. They are huge. It's not the same book at all, although some of the ideas may sound familiar. 

Here's the blurb from the back cover:

When her mother is jailed for slaying a revenant, Tonya must uncover the murderer who killed him—the first time.

Stripped of magic by the Staff of Storms and forbidden to contact her memory-cursed friends and boyfriend, Tonya is sentenced to remedial magic classes at Loon Lake University. Summer school with the enemy feels like the worst punishment—until her birth mother is jailed for slaying a zombie.

Her mother's freedom depends on Tonya solving a 20-year-old cold case involving necromancy, thwarted love, ghosts, and witchy family secrets. Meanwhile, hidden entities menace the beautiful city of Loon Lake. Suspicious fires, missing swimmers, and parasitic dragons threaten the citizens, including Tonya's old friends, the Digital Ninjas.

The stakes rise. Tonya must clear her mother's name, rescue the Ninjas, and save her best friend, Priya, when a motorcycle hunk uses her to unleash a real-life Frankenstein nightmare. Can Tonya save her mother and convince the warring Old Families to restore her friends' memories? If she fails, Tonya will remain outcast and estranged from her true love.

Double Dead Magic is perfect for fans of urban fantasy and creepy serials like Wednesday, iZombie, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If you enjoyed the magical world of Sabrina, you'll love this thrilling tale of witches, murder, and unique dragons.

Reader Reviews of Feeding Frenzy

"an amazing ride. . . loved every minute of it!" —J. L. Weaver, Penderry's Bizarre series (England)

"A great ending! Loved it!" —Denise Murdoch (USA)

"Just when you think there won't be any more surprises, Maaja Wentz throws us for a loop. . . I NEED MORE." —Helaine Duvenhage (South Africa)

"fun to read! The ending wrapped things up nicely, but it begs for a sequel." —David J. Thirteen (Canada)

"Take a spooky town, a food obsession, and wrap it all up in a wee bit of @MaajaWentz creepy, ghoul-tainted humor and you end up with the kaleidoscope that is Feeding Frenzy. —Jetta Frame (WattZombie Reviews)

You can read Double Dead Magic for free on Ream, or if you're into paper, you can buy it from all the usual book sellers. This book is wide, which means you can buy the ebook from all the ebook retailers. The paperback can be ordered by any shop or library.

-------------------------

Happy reading!

And thanks for all your support, votes, comments, and shares. It's made finishing my second novel (with the third ready to go to the editor) possible.

Maaja