chapter fifteen.

chapter fifteen  /  dirty rotten scoundrels❛ but it's been promised to another ❜

chapter fifteen dirty rotten scoundrels
but it's been promised to another

Kaz watched boats of guests file into the harbor from a balcony on the second floor

Kaz watched boats of guests file into the harbor from a balcony on the second floor. Acquiring the Downing fortune would be the easiest feat he had pulled off. Not only would everyone be distracted by the wining, the dining, and the dancing, but Eulalie would die the moment Killian got rejected. Kaz couldn't wait to hear Eulalie utter that he was right about Killian.

As soon as the dancing started, they would begin, but that was a couple of hours away. In the meantime, Kaz needed to find Inej. He walked out of the Drawing Room and down the closest staircase. The soft swish of skirts and shuffling of shoes made him look up from his carefully stepping feet.

On the other side, on a separate set of stairs, Eulalie hurried down to the shared landing. Lavender tulle stretched from just below her freckled collarbone to the floor. The silver embellished ruffles were patterned like feathers, forming little purple flowers of beadwork around her waist. She looked perfect—she had to.

"You look ready to get engaged," Kaz said instead.

Eulalie peered up at him. Her hazel eyes were so innocently round, but her mouth twisted into a scowl in response as she looked away from him like he was some beast. Kaz made it to the landing Eulalie was standing on. She seemed to be pondering the second descent into the hall where guests would be coming in soon.

"It's slippery by the mausoleum this time of year," Eulalie finally replied casually. Her voice was steady and unafraid.

Then, she looked up at him and smiled, and it made his heart plummet into his stomach.

Before Kaz could retort with anything clever, Eulalie lifted her shimmery lavender skirt and jogged down the steps, trailing remnants of silver glitter behind her as if she emanated magic from her very pores.

At the bottom of the staircase, Killian met Eulalie, taking her precious hand in his. He looked up at Kaz at the top, and with a smile, Killian nodded at him. Kaz didn't move any part of his face. Killian must have known Kaz was onto him.