Intervention

Isla Pov

"Uuggghhh", I whine as I am woken by banging on the front door. I look over to see Leah lying next to me, and I can't help but smile at her. She looks so peaceful. I heard more knocking as I forgot someone was at the door. I pull myself up, dragging myself through the hall. I lean against the wall as I open the door.

"God, you look awful."

Isla: "Thanks, Millie." I say while rolling my eyes as she pushes past me.

Isla: "Yeah, just let yourself in."

Millie: "Where the hell have you been for the past two days? No phone call. You couldn't even answer my messages to say you are okay."

Isla: "Sorry, Millie." I say as I put my hand to my head; it is too early for this.

Millie: "Sorry, that's all you have to say; I was worried about you, especially after Leah told me about you collapsing at training." she says sternly, looking me in the eyes.

Leah: "Hey, Isla, are you alright? Ohhh, hey, Millie." she says, not realising someone else was in her house.

Millie: "Hey Leah, how are you?"

Leah: "I'm good, what's up."

Millie: "Nothing, just decided to come to check on this one." she says as she pulls me into the tightest headlock. I thought I might pass out at how tight she was holding me.

Leah: "Okay, I'll give you two some privacy then." she says as she turns to walk away

Millie: "No, Leah, I want to hear the full story about Isla's first training session, and I know she won't tell me the whole truth."

Leah looks at me as I look at her. My eyes widened as Leah mouthed to me, saying that it would be okay. But I can't help but feel sick at the thought of explaining everything to my sister. She just doesn't get it, she will never get it, she doesn't feel the same pressure I do, especially when it comes to mum and dad.

Leah: "Let's go to the dining table; anyone wants a drink." she says as we enter the room.

"No thanks," Millie and I say in unison as we all sit around the table.

~Flashback~

The night air was chilly as I stood on the doorstep, the harsh words of my parents ringing in my ears like a cruel echo. "You're no longer welcome here anymore." my father spat, his face twisted with anger. "We won't tolerate your lifestyle under our roof," he says as he slams the door shut behind me. Tears streamed down my face as I struggled to gain my breath, with my throat begging to feel tighter and tighter after every sob.

I had never imagined coming out would lead to this. I had hoped for understanding and acceptance, especially since Mum liked Millie's friends and most of them were gay, but instead, I found rejection and betrayal. Cast out of my own home and abandoned by the very people who were supposed to love me unconditionally. My legs started to move, but my head didn't know where to go. I roamed around the dark streets. I started thinking to myself, should I call Millie. I grabbed my phone and hovered my finger over the call button until I hesitated and put the phone into my back pocket. I don't want her relationship with Mum and Dad to be affected by my mistake. I shouldn't have told them, 'This is all my fault'. I kept repeating to myself as I kept walking further and further into the night.

My feet suddenly stopped as I moved my gaze. I was standing outside an apartment building I knew all too well. I walked up the stairs to the 4th floor and walked along till I reached the door. I pulled my hand up in a fist to knock on the door. I pulled it back suddenly. I don't want to annoy her or bother her. She's probably asleep, I repeat to myself. I turn around and slide my back against the door until I'm on the floor. Suddenly, I feel myself fall back, and Lauren is standing over me.