Ocean's Light

It was a common occurrence for Annabeth Chase to sit by the lake where she had her first kiss. It was seldom that you found her doing anything other than searching for Percy Jackson. The love of her life. He was Romeo to her Juliet. They were destined to be, their fates carefully intertwined with one another.

She was devastated when he went missing. Every moment of her day was spent searching, hunting, pining for a clue. When Jason, Leo and Piper were found, she had gotten a lead on the guy. She prayed that as soon as their quest was over, they would find Percy.

Only to be struck with the sudden revelation that- he wouldn't remember anything. His memory would be lost to Hera, just as Jason lost his. That night, she didn't sleep at all. Instead, she snuck out of her cabin, past the harpies. She sat by Thalia's pine and cried her heart out.

The next morning, Chiron saw the state of her and embraced her. She placed her head on his shoulder and collected herself. He stroked her hair, his face filled with concern for the girl he thought of as his own.

Grover Underwood, both her and Percy's best friend arrived two days later. He kept bursting into tears. He munched on tin cans. He had joined Annabeth by the lake. He wanted to reminsce together. They had held eachother whilst exchanging fond memories of him.

Juniper ran to hug Grover as soon as she saw him. It made Annabeth miss Percy, not for the first time.

'Annabeth?' A soft voice came.

She turned, surprised at the sound of a voice. It was really early in the morning, around four o'clock. She hadn't expected anyone to be awake- and if they had, she hadn't anticipated on anyone interrupting her.

'Hi, Evelyn.'

Annabeth turned. A girl with two braids by her side and a streak of white in her hair came into view. She was a year younger and a daughter of Iris. She had come from England, which the Stolls found great joy in, especially when teasing her. Annabeth regarded her fondly.

'Annabeth, um, I need to show you something.'

She kept fidgeting and avoided eye contact. Annabeth easily read her, being a daughter of Athena. Her body language suggested that it was something important.

'What do you need to show me?' She asked.

Evelyn bit her lip and looked straight at Annabeth. Her eyes had always been unnatural- as every other child of Iris' had. But they each had their uniqueness. Evelyn's always glowed vibrant colours when she was happy, or feeling something good. Right now, her eyes were dull and faded.

'Annabeth, a few days before Percy was taken, he asked me to record a message for you.'

Annabeth was taken aback at the abrupt statement. At the name Percy, her brain blanked out. It took several moments before Annabeth really understood what Evelyn was saying.

'What?' Her voice came out broken and hoarse. 'W- do you have it?'

She was hurt that Evelyn didn't tell her sooner, but right now she was more focused on the fact that there might be a recording of Percy. She could hear his voice for the first time in weeks. If there was a chance- even a small, miniscule chance that she would get to see him again, regardless if it were a recording or not- she would take it. Always.

'Yeah, I do. I-I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, Annabeth. It's just- he told me not to show this to you, until he told me to. And- I thought- I thought he would've been back by now. I-I'm truly sorry.' Her voice was soft. She looked forlorn, as if she didn't expect Annabeth to forgive her.

'Evelyn, look at me.'

She raised her head at the stern voice.

'It's alright. Don't apologize. He told you not to- Hades, Evelyn even I thought he would've been back by now! But he isn't. I'm just glad you told me.'

The younger girl seemed confused before realisation dawned on her face. She sniffed.

'Thanks, Annabeth.'

Annabeth smiled, albeit a sad one.

'It's no problem. Now, why don't you show me this recording, please?'

Evelyn brought out a golden drachma and recited a prayer to Iris. Soon enough, a message began to play.

Evelyn began to slip away, and Annabeth grabbed her hand before she could leave.

'Where're you going?'

The daughter of Iris sniffed again. She then smiled. 'This is something you should watch alone. I've already seen it, and I would be intruding. Though, if you need a shoulder to cry on, I'll be by the strawberry fields.'

'Alright.'

Evelyn nodded at her, then left. Annabeth watched her go.

'Hey, Wise girl.'

Her throat closed off at the voice. Tears gathered at the corners of her eyes. The vague smell of sea water filled her nose.

She looked at the Iris message and nearly sobbed. In front of her was her boyfriend. Percy Jackson.

She scanned his face, looking closely at every detail. . She still remembered every feature on it. His deep sea-green eyes. Every freckle. Every scar. The creases under his eyes which showed he smiled a lot.

What she had missed the most was his grin. His trouble-maker grin that had annoyed her in her youth, yet became endearing as she grew.

'Right now, it is...' He looked at a calender on his bedside table (she had got that for him). 'Right now, it is December 11, 2009. When you see this, it should be December 24, 2009.'

Annabeth realised with a jolt that today was December 24. It was- it was the exact date that he said.

'Uh, I'm not really good at this whole romantic question, so this is gonna seem either really awkward or really romantic.'

She laughed, a watery smile gracing her features. This was a mixture of sweet and awkward right now, but that's what Annabeth loved about Percy.

'Annabeth Chase, will you go out with me to visit 'The Metropolitan Museum of Art'?'

She almost said yes. Then she remembered it was a recording.

'Alright! Hopefully you said yes, if not...' He put his hand on his neck. 'This is gonna be very embarrassing.'

Annabeth laughed. A single glistening tear ran down her face.

'So, uh. I guess I'll end this now.'

Her expression immediately saddened. She knew it was bad- unhealthy, even, to continue to try and stare and this again, but who could blame her?

Right before it ended, Percy looked at the message nervously. He fidgeted with the pen forever in his pocket.

'I- I love you.'

And then, the message disappeared to smoke.

It would be then, that Annabeth realised she never got to say it back, not until he would be found again.

'I love you too.'

She whispered this to the empty air in front of her.

Hello! :D I got this idea when I was sitting in English one day, and I just couldn't let it go. It seemed really bittersweet honestly. Yeah, Evelyn is an OC. Side note btw, I HATE that y/n stuff. Like they have no personality in the stories or they just make u the same over and over. That's why I like OC's :DDDD thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. Enjoy the story 🤠