Chapter 3. Late Afternoon Light

One of my other friends, Adrien, waves to us violently as we all stream out when the bell rings. She has short golden hair, brown eyes, and a pink face. She's wearing a blue sweater and jeans.
"Hey! Minji! Wanna hang out?" she shouts. "Sorry, can't. I'm babysitting Chloe."
"Oh. Sorry." she says sympathetically.
We all walk home together, except Joselyn because she lives on Arroyo Blvd. Kartha (finally!) leaves us at 3rd and Northern. Immediately after she leaves and is out of earshot, Lauren asks "You seem so annoyed by Kartha. Why are you friends with her?" I hesitate. "Ah, it's a long story..." "I don't mind. Tell me!" "Ok."
"When we were, like, six years old, Kartha and I were neighbors and she lived across the street. One day, she was writing a list of people she knew, and categorizing them. She wrote me down, and asked, "Minji, are you my friend?" And I felt obligated to say yes. And every once in a while, she still asks me that, half as a joke and half serious. She annoys me so much, but I just feel bad."
"Wow. Sorry." Lauren says, concerned.
"Yeah, it's alright."

When we get to the apartment, we run up the stairs and I say, "Wanna come over?" "Sure, but is your little sister annoying?"
"Yeah, but she's not that little though. She's eleven."
I unlock the door, and say "Brace yourself."
Chloe comes jumps off the couch and points at Lauren. "UNIDENTIFIED HUMAN FRIEND!!" Lemme describe Chloe: she has black hair, like me, all messy. She bleached the inner part kinda haphazardly. She has big freckles and big eyes. Her style: grunge-ey. I think she's trying to be cool. She listens to MCR and wears shirts of it all the time. She loves spooky stuff and dark humor.
"Yeah, yeah. This is Lauren, my friend. And she's our neighbor, SO GET USED TO SEEING HER AROUND."
"Okay, okay."
Mom appears. "Oh Minji, glad you're here. I was just about to leave. Behave yourselves, okay? No fighting." She leaves.
Chloe glares at me. "I'M GOING TO WATCH TV."
"OK! Let's go to my room." I say to Lauren.

We talk for a while, and I realize we haven't really bonded about anything other than music. I decide to ask her my own questionnaire (with my own answers to compare)
LAUREN | MINJI
Fav animal: squirrel | dolphin

Fav flower: sunflower | daisy

Fav cake: chocolate | red velvet

Fav food: french fries | bingsu (Korean shaved ice)

Fav cookie: chocolate chip | those super soft sugar cookies

Fav Sanrio character: my melody | cinnamaroll

Fav fandom: toh/atla | pjo/tbhk

Fav color: dark grey/blue | purple/green

Fav sandwich: sourdough grilled cheese | ham and cheese croissant

I can't believe I've only known Lauren for two days. It feels like she's one of my best friends already.
Chloe bangs on the door. "HEY MINJI WHAT'S THE DISNEY PLUS PASSWORD?!" I yell, "HamsterFREAK92 all caps."
Lauren doubles over laughing. "HAMSTER! FREAK! OH MY GOD!!"
"Grr. I came up with it when I was, like, nine! Chloe, SCRAM!" She flees and laughs.
"Ugh. Ignore her." I say.
"She's cute, though. How old is she? Eight?" Lauren asks.
I grumble. "She's eleven. So immature for her age." She laughs again. "Can we listen to Red? I'm in the mood for the autumn vibes." I load up Spotify.

"This slope is treacherous — I-I- I like it."