4- Is Love Enough

Since I'm heading home, that means I'll have to tackle the most confusing task alone: packing

Since I'm heading home, that means I'll have to tackle the most confusing task alone: packing. I'm clumsy—not in surgeries, of course, but in everything else I do. I need to make sure I don't forget anything this time. Mom had already messaged me that they've personally invited Abhinav and his family to the puja, but I still need to discuss it with him. Since we're both in the same department, getting our leave sanctioned by Dr. Siddharth will be difficult. We have to adjust our surgery schedules for next week.

After leaving the cafeteria, Anisha and I headed to our respective patients' wards. I saw Abhinav talking to a patient's family with the utmost kindness and respect, explaining the procedure the patient needed to undergo. I stood there, admiring him. Sometimes I really wonder how I ended up with him. He's a god-gifted, intelligent, handsome man who doesn't need to put any effort into attracting anyone.

I have many insecurities, I know. Unlike him, I wasn't blessed with a sharp brain from birth; I made it myself. Nor do I fall into the category of ethereal beauties, which I've always tried to be since my teenage years by using every fairness product that hit the Indian market to boost my confidence. But slowly and steadily, I realized that my power lay in my academics, my hard work. Moreover, for Abhinav, these things don't matter.

When he first proposed to me in our fourth year of MBBS, I literally thought he was either making fun of me or playing one of his famous truth-or-dare games. And, of course, my second gut feeling was correct—he was playing truth or dare, in which he had chosen dare from his friends and spoken truth from his heart.

After talking to the patient, we both went straight to Dr. Siddharth's cabin. We knocked on the door, asking permission to come in.

"Good evening, sir. Dr. Navya and I have some urgent matters at home and we need to take leave for four days. We would be highly obliged," Abhinav said.

"Yes, I saw both of your emails. Okay, you can take leave. After all, you both hardly ever take any. But make sure the work in my department is not hampered," Siddharth said with a mask-like face.

I don't know how, but this devil was behaving normally today. It was as if he was in so much pain but couldn't show it. I know that expression well since I often wear it myself. I don't like others knowing my inner turmoils.

Abhinav and I thanked him and left the cabin. As we were heading to our PG room, Abhinav grabbed my wrist and gently pulled me towards him. He tucked the hair strands falling on my face behind my ear and said, "Okay, Mrs. Navya Malhotra, what's bothering your sweet little brain? And why is your nose so red? Don't tell me you were crying."

I was standing on his feet, my hand on his chest for support. "Nothing, Dr. Abhinav Malhotra, and no, I was not crying," I said, wiping my nose. "And please, will you let me go? We're in a hospital, so behave properly, please."

"Okay, ma'am, but you know you don't have to hide anything from me. And always remember that I am so proud of you. Keep your overthinking aside and fill your mind with the fact that you're going to meet your dadu and daadi after almost half a year."

Saying this, he held my wrist, and we went to our PG room.

****ABHINAV's Pov****

I know what she's thinking, and it's natural. When you're compared, judged, and at the same time ignored by your own father and brother, who would be excited to go home? Including me, since I know I'm not the much-admired son-in-law they wanted. I am the first-generation doctor in my family, while Navya is the third. Academically, my family is no match for hers, but socially, our status was not less than theirs. Maybe that's why they agreed when I asked for their daughter's hand in marriage.

She is different. For a full three years, she didn't even look at me, whereas I never stopped looking at her. She hates the spotlight, but she always ends up in it. We freakingly got to know almost in our third year that she belongs to a prestigious family. She is an expert in hiding things.

For me, it was love at first sight; for her, it's still a question. I know she likes me, but she doesn't trust me. She just doesn't—or one might say she can hardly put her trust in anyone. She accepted me as her friend, and I still wonder why on the last day of our internship, after a full year, she accepted my proposal. She said, "For me, love is not important. From my perspective, I think two people can live together without love, but not without respect and faith. I am ready to give this relationship a try, but I don't think I am accepting this because of love. It's more of that... I don't want to lose you, Abhinav."

I am still trying to figure out why she is so scared of love and trust. But it's okay. I don't want her to forcefully love me. I have my whole life with her, and my love is enough for us both to live. Her friendship is enough for our relationship to survive.
——————————————————————

Hi lovely readers 🥰
I know story is not yet completely started but i wanted you all to connect to characters beforehand. From next chapter onwards story plot would be progressed.
I hope u all will like it
Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Kindly vote and comment so that i can acknowledge u all are liking this story.

U all can follow insta handle@ira_library