Chapter 1

THE universe has a fucked up sense of timing

My knuckles turn white from holding the handlebar of the bike so tight. Health is fine, so is the day, but this fucking ' urgent matter ' from Dad can't even wait for a damn hour.

" It's almost twelve noon now. I hope to see you within one hour ", Dad's deep voice radiates from the other side of the phone. The only good genes which he has passed to me are his voice and his height.

And clearly the only things for which I can be thankful to him.

"Dad, I have a race today. I can't- "

" Shut it. How can you still be so casual about everything ? Your Principal called me two days back. Rhett, you have failed in two subjects for fuck's sake ! How am I going to get you a promotion if you don't stop with your ridiculous races and focus your damn head on studying ?"

" Well, nearly everyone has failed in econ, It's not just me who is shitting in those bullshit- "

"Rhett. Last warning to you. If I don't see your face by one hour, that disgusting bike you are so obsessed with will be gone for good."

The loud beep sound indicates to me that he has hung up.

I just got over with my tution classes this morning, ready to challenge back Fred with the race. That dumbfuck thinks he owns the whole universe by shoving his Dad's money into random asses. Fucker even dared to bet on my bike, challenging me to win him at the race today. He should've thanked whatever lucky charm he had that I didn't punch him in the goddamn balls right then and there.

Challenging me, huh ? That freek should get a lesson who he's dealing with.

But the universe has other things planned out for me. The Greysley Corporation has progressed so much in the past two decades. Being one of the top class security agency, the Greysley Corporation has been hired by millions and millions of celebrities, ranging from important ministers to pop stars all around the world.

With dad being appointed as CEO, I have been handling the better half of the company, arranging and attending important meetings and looking after the services provided to the clients.

Not that I don't like my job, but the surreal and supernumerary expectation from my family digs a certain unease in the pit of my stomach.

I'm not here to live up to someone's expectation. I. JUST. CAN'T. FUCKING. DO. THAT.

Dangling the helmet in the handlebar, my eyes encounter a sea green hair approaching me. " Bad day, buddy ?", the previously encountered sea green hair comes closer, his bag strangled to his shoulders. Nate and I have been friends since kindergarten, and asshole must thank me for keeping up with all his shit throughout the years. "Hasn't the day just started ?", I retort, fiddling with the cigarette in my hand.