Chapter 21: Intercepting the Redguns

Raven was resting until a notification had suddenly come up. It was from Walter, another briefing, another mission.

"Got a job for you, 621." Walter informed, "This one's from the Arquebus Group."

The logo from the corporate company then came up.

"This request comes from our affiliate, Schneider." V.VIII Pater's voice came, "First, I'll brief you on the state of conflict between Arquebus and Balam at Watchpoint Alpha. The Watchpoint's defense inflicted heavy losses on Balam's initial wave, with many deserting. More recently, they've engaged with our forces only to continue their downward spiral. Despite this, the Redguns' commander, G1 Michigan, remains alive and well... with his AC LIGER TAIL being readied to lead the surviving Balam MT force as we speak. We want you to intercept them, to hammer the final nail into Balam's coffin. Before you decline, we have V.IV lined up to take over."

Then came a quick look at the familiar assembly of STEEL HAZE along with the wolf logo before it was replaced by the Arquebus Corp's logo.

"This concludes the briefing. Awaiting your favorable reply." Pater finished.

Raven and Ayre looked at one another, or as best from Raven's point of view anyway. Raven nodded and then felt the jolt of his AC being pulled up.

"...Just get the job done." Walter ordered, "There's nothing more for me to say."

Raven and Ayre thought about it, "to hammer the final nail into Balam's coffin." This could mean that they'll be able to finally take down the Balam once the Redguns are defeated. This'll be at least one corporation down.

"Looks like our luck may be changing." said Ayre.

<<Thought it already was.>>

"I know. Just... this is a big step."

...

"Main System: Activating Combat Mode." said the COM system.

"Commence mission." ordered Walter.

"Enemy readings, paratroops, incoming!" Ayre wanted.

Raven then started to crack every bone he found possible. He then set up his boosters into full assault mode. He then came in charging at complete full speed. He came swooping right in.

<<Let's do this.>>

...

G1 Michigan watched in a mixture of shock and amazement as he'd see the independent mercenary already taking down some of his MT warriors in a matter of minutes.

"Attack! Get in there, you maggots!" he shouted in command.

"Looks like Arquebus sent some clown on a suicide mission." a Balam MT squad member taunted, "Cute, real cute."

Even though Raven was, once again, their enemy, he had respect for the guy. Dude damn well deserved it.

"The only clown around here is you, Kennebec!" he shouted, "You're talking about the Wallclumber. The Wormkiller. The only G13 who's managed to live this long! Until the LIGER TAIL deploys, the odds are not in your favor. You better keep the emergency eject primed!"

Oh boy, would that idiot, pesky good-for-nothing be sorry. He'd just need to equip his AC with the DF-GA-08 HU-BEN Gatling Gun, DF-ET-09 TAI-YANG-SHOU Explosive Thrower, BML-G2/P17SPL-16 Split Missile Launcher, and the loveable SONGBIRDS Grenade Cannon.