XVII. I'LL FOLLOW THE SUN

Start from the beginning

I trudge out of Paul's room and into the hallway and down the stairs. I think he likes it that I'm looking after him. I make my way into the kitchen and switch on the light. I settle the torch on the counter and fill the kettle and place it on the stove and light gas with a match. I was used to the electric stove at my nana's house, but I was getting the hang of this. I take the jar of salt and level out a tea spoon and empty it into the mug I had ready. Once the kettle whistles and its pipping hot I took it off the stove, turn it off and pour enough hot water to mix it in with the salt.

When I return upstairs Paul is waiting for me. His lamp is on, casting a dim light in his room and he is propped up in bed. I see the collar of his flannel pyjamas and the blankets are pulled as high as he can make them.

"I'm back," I declare in a whisper. Paul blows into his hanky and I can see how miserable he must be. I really hoped that he was by the end of it.

"This is hot. Go to the bathtoom when you can, maybe wait half an hour, this is really hot and gargle this okay?"

"Pardon?" Paul asks and there is some amusement in his eyes.

"Gargle," I reaffirm.

Paul giggles a little.

"What are you giggling about?"

"Oh, y'know. . . your accent."

"You're supposed to be stuck with the flu not laughing about accents."

Paul sighs. I am clearly ruining his fun. I didn't think my accent was odd or difficult to comprehend.

"I'm going back to bed," I announce, it was getting late. I lean over to give him a kiss on the cheek. "Goodnight, Paulie."

Paul moves his face at just the right moment and I end up kissing him on the lips. Oh, dear.

"You could have just given me your cold!" I whisper-yell.

Paul giggles more and he smiles in the way that makes my heart flutter and grow warm. I am so glad I am the one that made him smile. I am glad of all of it.

"If you're giggling this much. I am not making you breakfast."

"You loved it!" Paul croaks out. I did in fact love it but theres no way I would ever confess that.

"Goodnight," I inform him and I turn on my feet.

"Goodnight Princess," Paul speaks and I smile. I cross my foot over the other and curtsy and I hear another round of Paul's laughter. I never thought myself to be the funny type. It was either that or he was delirious.

"Be sure to send my regards to the Queen and Buckingham Palace."

Paul coughs again. I hesitate at the door.

"Do you think you need me to watch over you?"

"Oh very much so," Paul says softly. We both very much knew that he would be okay on his own.

I untie my dressing gown and place it over the chair and I lift the sheets of his twin bed to settle beside him. I am greeted by his warmth, the faint smell of lavender and cigarette smoke.

"Is this okay?" I ask, knowing that we'll be squished together like a couple of sardines.

Paul brings his arm over my waist, inching us even closer together. It was squishy but I loved being close to him. I don't think I had been this close to someone before. Last time when I couldn't sleep it was a bit different.

"Your hair smells lovely," Paul whispers. "Like soap."

"Thank you. I'll go to sleep now," I promise and together we do.