five

"not yet corpses, still we rot,"

ESTHER had woken to sounds of Uhtred arguing - a noise she hadn't missed, but it brought her some sense of normality. Osferth was already awake, looking between the man and Ragnar, honestly unsure of what to do.

"What's gotten you in a fuss already, Uhtred?" Esther asked, sitting up and rubbing her eyes to try and waken herself, "You've been back no more than twelve hours,"

"Why am I not allowed to see her?" Uhtred yelled, seemingly at no one, but he was staring at Esther. She simply raised a brow in confusion, looking at Ragnar to silently ask what was going on.

The Dane sighed, a hand coming up to pinch the bridge of his nose, "Uhtred's new woman is held up in a nunnery.  He also wants to kill Kjartan," he said, eyes a little narrow as he looked at Uhtred, "but I'm under strict orders to bring him to Alfred,"

Esther blinked, mouth slightly hung open at the mention of a 'new woman'. Unsurprisingly, he'd moved on quickly, "Uhtred stop going after every woman that breathes would you?" she asked, standing up and stretching her arms upright. It was then she noticed Finan wasn't anywhere near, "where's the Irishman?" she asked, turning on the spot and ignoring Osferth's growing grin.

"Washing," Uhtred grumbled out, still visibly annoyed over being told 'no'.

"You should do the same, eh?" Esther asked, looking at Uhtred. To which she received an eyeroll. She then turned to Ragnar, "We still going to see Alfred?" she asked, to which Ragnar sighed and shook his head, "fuck sakes,"

They'd travelled to find Gisela. How Uhtred had sulked his way into convincing Ragnar to do such a thing, Esther didn't know. But she went along with it anyway. She rode near the back, Osferth infront of her riding alongside Hild. Beside her was Finan, who seemed just as dazed as he was yesterday.

"You've got fields in Irland, right?"

"What?"

"Fields, you're looking at them as if you've never laid eyes on them before," she said simply, eyes squinting a bit due to the sun as she looked over to him. He simply laughed a bit and shook his head - more so in disbelief.

"Yes we have fields," he stated, "prettier than these ones though,"

Esther nodded, a smile tugging at her lips, "I don't disbelieve you, these are pretty underwhelming this time o' year," she admitted, looking around at the view. The grass had barely recovered from that year's rough winter, but come spring it would be back to its usual beauty. After a moment's silence, Esther spoke up again, "you a religious man, Finan?"