Chapter 6 - The Einar Flowers

Start from the beginning

She clearly didn't want to talk about it. "Do you want to go somewhere else?"

Syera immediately brightened at the change of subject and leaned forward. "Can we go see the horses?"

The corner of Ezryn's mouth twitched up. "Uh...yes? Let's go find them. I want to check on Cyrus, anyway." Ezryn stood up from her chair and reached out her hand.

Syera shuffled away. "I'm practically grown. Grown-ups don't hold hands."

Ezryn flexed her hand and tucked it into the pocket of her trousers. It was only habit.

Ezryn pushed open the tavern door and led Syera out past the groups of mingling people. She spotted a red-faced Mairsile talking to the same man from earlier and waved at her.

Mairsile smiled back and motioned for Ezryn to come closer. She sidled up next to her, Syera tucking herself behind Ezryn's back.

"Keir, this is Enver. He'll be joining us on our trip."

Ezryn stuck her hand out for the man to shake and he took it gladly, a proud grin on his face. He was a stocky man with a hooked nose, heavy brows, and dark scruff around his mouth and chin.

"It's nice to meet you. I'm sorry for not introducing myself to you before. It's been an awfully long day."

As he spoke, Ezryn's attention was drawn to a small mole at the top of his right smile line. "Don't fret over it. I was told you were being honored for your bravery? I'm very glad to be around such wonderful people."

He chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck. "Thank you. You are definitely something as well. Remind me not to get on your bad side. I always lose to Bram. I would definitely lose to you."

Ezryn smiled and paused to look behind her, feeling Syera tug on her shirt. "Oh. Um...where are the stables? I was gonna go check on my horse and let him meet Syera."

Mairsile raised her eyebrows. "Syera?"

She poked her head out from behind Ezryn's back and waved. "Hi."

"Oh! Hi, there. You can call me Mair, if you want." Mairsile looked at Ezryn curiously. "Where'd she come from?"

"Kitarni wanted me to keep an eye on her while she went somewhere. I'm not exactly sure why."

Mairsile glanced at Enver and pursed her lips. "Interesting. Alright. I'll walk you to the stables. Do you want to tag along, Enver?"

He nodded and followed behind as they began walking.

They walked past Kitarni's red door and down a hill to an open area with separated fields and one small barn adjacent to a house. Enver unlatched the stable door and lit a lantern. He placed it on a small ledge in the middle of the stables, and turned to grin at Mairsile, making her blush.

"Wh-which one is your horse, Keir?" she stammered, quickly hiding her face from Enver.

Ezryn peeked her head in the nearby stalls but didn't see her boy. "Cyrus?" she called, clicking her tongue. He quickly poked his head out from his stall a few feet down. Ezryn strode over and opened her arms, letting Cyrus bury his head in her chest. He huffed out a sigh and snorted as she rubbed her hands over his jowls and up behind his ears. She pressed a soft kiss onto his forehead and patted his side. She glanced down at Syera and over at Mairsile. "This is Cyrus."

Both beamed and walked over, with Syera practically jumping. She looked up at Ezryn and gave her her best puppy-like eyes. "Can I pet him?"

Ezryn nodded and guided Cyrus's head lower so that she could reach above his pink-toned muzzle. Her small hands lightly traced Cyrus' forelock, the hair twisting between her fingers. She giggled and leaned closer as he snorted and pushed his head against her side. Ezryn continued to keep a firm hand on the horse's chest, so that he wouldn't knock her over. He had done it before to Kalea. He wasn't rough, he just liked kids. He was practically enamoured with them.