Chapter 6 - The Einar Flowers

Bram and Briar had left shortly thereafter, leaving Ezryn alone at the table, quietly laughing at herself.

Of course she had killed his brother. Of course he would want revenge. She knew that feeling all too well. She wanted to grab him and shake him by the shoulders and tell him that revenge will get him nowhere...but she couldn't. She knew she deserved it. Her father did too. Ezryn was glad that he was dead now. But it did nothing to ease the pain of losing her child, or the pain of remembering how soft her hair was or how warm her skin used to be. It didn't give her back those thousands of sleepless nights, it didn't cleanse the never-ending blood on her hands, nor did it heal her skin. It did not and could not change the past.

As for being capable of love, Ezryn knew she was. She loved Kalea. She loved her brother, Kahn. At one point, she loved Aramis. But what was she supposed to do with that? To love was a privilege... one she didn't deserve.

Flashes of Adler's face surfaced in her memory and all she could think about was getting to him and Segan. However, she had no clue of what was to happen after that. Where would they go? How would they live? Would Segan eventually leave to return to his family? Would it end with only her and Adler? Probably.

And why did Segan care so much about her? Why did he stay?

Ezryn sighed and buried her face in her hands. Those were things she would have to ask Segan about. Questions for another day. She couldn't answer everything on her own, and that frustrated her even more.

To have practically zero answers and little control was her foil. She could no longer avoid her dream, and the vision with Bram only solidified that fact. There was something important about it. Something that she was missing.

She was still concerned about Kahn, about why he seemed so off, about how he seemed so...cold. And she was worried that something might happen to Aramis. She had asked him to look into it, and if something were to happen to him, it would be her fault. Like always, it would be her fault.

Someone tapped softly on Ezryn's shoulder, their voice a hesitant whisper. "Keir?"

Ezryn jerked her head up, coming face to face with Kitarni and a girl with puffy brown hair.

"Hi, mister."

Ezryn's eyes immediately softened and she smiled at the child. "Syera, yes?"

She nodded her head vigorously.

Kitarni grinned, her eyes tired and face worn. "I guess you know each other?"

Ezryn gave her a quick nod.

"Good, well...I was wondering if you could take care of her for a bit? I just have to run a quick errand. It'll only take an hour or so."

"Alright. I'll watch her."

Kitarni sighed in relief and pat Syera's head. "Thank you. I'll be back as fast as I can." She hurried out of the tavern, the door slamming behind her.

Ezryn looked down at the girl in front of her and tilted her head. "Where'd you come from?"

"Uh...Miss Kit said I could join everyone on the trip to Brina."

Ezryn's eyebrows furrowed. "Why? Where is your family?"

"What makes you think I have a family."

"You were trying to steal two loaves of bread."

The girl's smile faded. "I don't have a family anymore."

Ezryn stayed quiet, reading the girl's emotions. Her eyes avoided Ezryn's, focusing only on her shuffling feet.