Carl and Elodie echoed Sophia's response with nods. Despite their attempts to refocus on their homework, Elodie found it difficult to tear her gaze away from Jim. It felt as though she wasn't allowed to, especially since he was still looking at her, Carl and Sophia.

"Your mama's right," Jim directed his words to Carl. "Sun just cooked my head, is all."

Elodie couldn't help but cringe. "It sounds like it hurts."

Jim shook his head with a smile. "Don't hurt, Elodie. Don't you worry."

"Okay," Elodie muttered, fiddling with her pencil. She wanted to return to doodling in her notebook, but she also felt a need to maintain eye contact with Jim.

"Elodie," Lori gently reminded her, tapping the girl's notebook with her pen.

"Sorry," Elodie apologized, finally tearing her gaze away from Jim.

With a groan, Elodie crossed her arms over her notebook, resting her head on her arms. The heat was starting to give her a headache, and the schoolwork was only worsening it. She buried her head further into her arms with another groan, tugging at her bun in frustration.

She didn't like the hot weather. It made her feel dizzy, especially since she was terrible at remembering to drink water. Jamie used to remind her back at home, but he hadn't done so in a long time.

But the hot weather could also be fun, like earlier today when she was playing in the water with Shane and Carl. If it had been cold out, she wouldn't have been able to do that. And back when she went to school, the heat meant that summer break was coming closer, and summer break meant not seeing the mean girls and Jamie's friends at school. Summer break meant not getting picked on. So maybe the heat isn't all that bad.

Still, Elodie liked the cold way more. Specifically the rain, though she had to be careful of it with her hearing aids and all. But when she was sitting in her room, she could hear the raindrops ticking against her window, and it was even louder because her window was tilted. She'd sit by the window, watching as the ground turned into a canvas of puddles. Sometimes, her neighbor's dog would slip out of the house and dash around the backyard, water splashing on its face as it darted through the puddles. Elodie found it amusing, especially when her neighbors had to go out in the rain to get the dog.

Elodie had always wanted a dog, but her mother had always told her no. She didn't want to spend all the money on it. Her mother explained they'd have to pay for the vet, food, extra water, and much more. Elodie understood her reasoning, but she still wanted a dog. It probably would have made her feel a whole lot less lonely back home. Maybe she could have walked it with Jamie and spent more time with him. Maybe he'd have liked her more if they had a dog.

Elodie furrowed her brow, lifting her head and leaning over the table to peek inside the camp. She hadn't seen Jamie since their mother left. He had stormed off somewhere, but she didn't know where. She had been too distracted playing with the frogs and getting clean clothes after.

"All right. Who wants to help me clean some fish, huh?" Shane said, walking towards the kids with the bucket in his hand.

Amy and Andrea had gone out fishing earlier and had brought back a whole batch of fish. Elodie thought it was sad the way they hung from the hook, just like Daryl's squirrels had been just hanging there, their bodies limp.

"Sweet! Come on," Carl exclaimed, nudging Elodie and waving Sophia along.

Elodie slid her crate back and stood up, setting her pencil down on her notebook. She glanced at Lori and Carol, fidgeting with her fingers nervously. "Sorry for not workin' on school."