Cigarette smoke

Começar do início

The door behind the pair opened, revealing Lucius Malfoy. His presence filled the room, sending some ounce of fear over the two boys. The man was a looming presence, intimidating in stature. Even Mattheo was nervous around him.

"Run along now Draco, Mattheo and I need to have a little talk" Lucius said with a small sneer.

Draco obliged instantly, closing the door behind him, leaving Lucius alone with Mattheo.

"I'm happy to say, Mattheo, that today you will be graced with your first proper task" he explained.

Mattheo looked terrified at that prospect. He always knew a proper task would come his way, but at the young age of 11, he was shocked to learn how early it was happening.

Working for his father, and he hadn't even gotten to school yet.

Lucius slid a photo across the desk, placing the piece of paper in front of the young boy. Mattheo held it up to the light, looking into familiar eyes.

"Alessia Nott. You know her well. Your job is to watch her at Hogwarts. Monitor her power, and report back to us" Lucius instructed.

Mattheos stomach dropped, nausea washing over him with immediate effect. The boy tried to conceal his feelings about the task, remaining calm and concealed.

"There's something her father isn't telling us, with you, there will be eyes at Hogwarts" Lucius continued, staring into the distance in thought.

"Why do I have to do this, Draco knows her equally as well" Mattheo asked, honestly conflicted, feeling as if he was betraying his friend by carrying out this task.

Lucius stood up straighter, glaring down at the Riddle boy through his grey eyes.

"She trusts you" he said simply "Besides, Draco has always been a little too feeble for these type of tasks"

Mattheo laughed at Lucius' words. This task was filling him with dread, and he didn't know what else to do other than laugh, trying to fill the void that was encapsulating his being.

"I'll do it. Under one condition" Mattheo said, crossing his arms over his chest, like he so frequently did.

Lucius quirked a brow, suprised at the boys nerve, speaking out his thoughts, like he had the right to do so.

"I'll do whatever you ask, if she stays safe" Mattheo proposed, a small smile on his face.

If Lucius wasn't a death eater, and someone infatuated with power and his submission to the Dark Lord, he might even feel sorry for the young boy. Everyone could tell how pure the connection between Mattheo Riddle and Alessia Nott was.

"Fine." Lucius said with a judging expression, before walking to the door with a forceful stride.
The man stopped in his tracks before turning round, meeting the eyes of the young Riddle again.

"One last thing, Mattheo, keep her away from Severus. That man won't stop sticking his abnormally large nose into other peoples business"

With a curt nod from Mattheo, Lucius left the room, leaving the young boy surrounded by his emotions, worried and scared, about how he would approach this situation.

It wouldn't be easy, living with the guilt of spying on your closest friend, watching her every move like a morally corrupt stalker.

Mattheo knew what he had to do. His first task would determine everything, and he couldn't get it wrong.

Mattheo and Alessia were quickly bought back to the astronomy tower, away from the memory.
Mattheo looked ashamed, and embarrassed by what Alessia had just seen.

"A task, huh?" Alessia said, looking at him in a measure of disbelief. She found it slightly amusing, seeing how much he had cared for her as a boy.

"I never wanted that, I admire your power, it shouldn't be observed like a science experiment." Mattheo replied, in all honesty.

"I'm glad you were truthful, Mattheo." Alessia told him, with a reassuring smile. She shouldn't settle for less, but knowing she was on the path to trusting him fully was the greatest feeling.

"I get to ask you something now." Mattheo said with a smirk, lighting a new cigarette. Alessia quirked a brow, intrigued. This wasn't how she saw this going.

"Go on" she said, fully interested by the prospect of him asking her something personal.

"Will you go to the Yule Ball with me?"

A/N- THIS IS SO LONG SORRY!!!

Lowkey OBSESSED with this chapter. Let me know what you think!!!

Ellie 💌
Word count- 1333